BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to by a wheel balancer soon & have been trying to decide between a static or a spin balancer. I have a static balancer for the LT wheels. The static balancer is slow & on one of my rear wheels I have two heavy spots :think: . The blue painters tape is where the heavy spots are. Does anybody here have any experience with spin balancers ?.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have a Snap On spin balancer. It works very well and is easy to use. I also have a static balancer, takes a little more time but also works well and is a heck of a lot cheaper. If your a tool freak like me a spin balancer is a must. If you're more practical and just want an accurately balanced tire the static balancer is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have been using the 'Marc Parnes' static balancer for 4 years. Its packable, very well made and super accurate.

Works with a variety of M/C wheels. You order specific adapters depending on your bike.

http://www.marcparnes.com/

·
Registered
637 Posts
saddleman said:
I'm going to by a wheel balancer soon & have been trying to decide between a static or a spin balancer. I have a static balancer for the LT wheels. The static balancer is slow & on one of my rear wheels I have two heavy spots :think: . The blue painters tape is where the heavy spots are. Does anybody here have any experience with spin balancers ?.
Why do you have two heavy spots in the same plane? They should combine and register as one heavy spot since they are in the same plane. This is a static balance situation. It suggests your wheel balance may be very close without any extra weights.

A spin balancer (called a dynamic balance) can detect out-of-plane balance problems - requiring two weights on opposite sides of the rim, although this isn't always necessary.

·
Registered
444 Posts
JATownsend said:
I have been using the 'Marc Parnes' static balancer for 4 years. Its packable, very well made and super accurate.

Works with a variety of M/C wheels. You order specific adapters depending on your bike.

http://www.marcparnes.com/
+1 Marc Parnes is an excellent product.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
niel_petersen said:
Why do you have two heavy spots in the same plane? They should combine and register as one heavy spot since they are in the same plane. This is a static balance situation. It suggests your wheel balance may be very close without any extra weights.
One of my jobs at Penske racing is balancing the engine assembly. I have been using spin balancers on engines & tires for about 40 years. The two heavy spots are 13 inches apart. I suspect they are out an equal amount of weight. On static balancers I always rotate the heavy point 90 degrees each way to see if returns to the same spot. When I mount the tire on this rim I'll put the orange dot in between the two marks.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
+ 1 on the Marc Parnes balancer here too. I don't change tires that often so the MP is ideal for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Sorry I do not have a recommendation for a spin balancer and like many here use the
Marc Pharnes.

In looking at your set up I would have a few questions:
- can you move your supports more towards the wheel to reduce the shaft bending
moment. See of the heavy weight points move if you try to do this.
- does your balancer allow you to turn the wheel around
- have you checked to see if your wheel runs true - less than .010 run out
- how confidant are you that this static balancer is centering up your wheel

There really cannot be two heavy points - its your equipment inability to be precise.
If I could justify the $$$ I would definitely go for a spin balancer - just can't justify for a
tire a year!! :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts