BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the sake of conversation how far do you have to ride in a state before you add it to the map? I'll be at the four corners area this summer and will ride the short loop parking lot around the monument that actually goes thru all four states.

When I was in Vegas a couple of years ago I went into CA for a couple of miles to add it to the map, there I actually rode and got up to speed!!

What is your opinion??

·
Registered
482 Posts
I say both of those scenarios count as as states ridden in. However, the Iron Butt Association only counts a gas receipt as proof of riding in a state for their 48/10 challenge.

·
IBR# 366
16,562 Posts
For a 48/10 ride, that's correct.

For the 2011 Iron Butt Rally, we could use Four Corners to count as all four states, by getting a picture of our rally flag on the ground marker.

I still rode all the way around it, just for my own sake. :)

I also counted Alaska, even though I was maybe 1/4 mile inside of Hyder for about 20 minutes total . . .

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
For these purposes: If you cross the state line, it counts. Just my opinion. No need to spend the night, do some magical number of miles or indeterminate number of minutes/hours/fortnights in a given state. :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
For these purposes: If you cross the state line, it counts. Just my opinion. No need to spend the night, do some magical number of miles or indeterminate number of minutes/hours/fortnights in a given state. :)
Plus 1
A visit is just that. It does no mean a stay or property has to be purchased. Few quick points if I visit a friend and enter yard, house or garage still a visit.
On my 13 state epic last year wet my feet in the Pacific Ocean. Spent 2 day visit with family in CA and WA. I went thru the chimney of ID about a 60 mile run before MT. My 11 state east used mainly rt1 from ME to DE. So once I enter a state on 2 wheels it counts for me.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,184 Posts
I only count the states I have peed in.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I agree, once you've ridden in the state, whatever the distance should count. Just out of curiosity, and I know there must be a thread somewhere that explains it, but how do you update your US map of states ridden and how do you display it after your signature? :eek:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
I agree, once you've ridden in the state, whatever the distance should count. Just out of curiosity, and I know there must be a thread somewhere that explains it, but how do you update your US map of states ridden and how do you display it after your signature? :eek:
Take a read thru this thread - couple of posts give instructions. I used 'states ridden' as a search key. And I think there are more instructions elsewhere, butt I didn't look. Good luck.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I've rode around the 4 comers monument & counted it as all 4 states. I have been back to all for state at other times too. A few years back when CCR was in South Dakota I rode through the north east corner of Wyoming to Montana. When I Crossed the state line into Wyoming & took a picture of my bike with each state sign in the back ground. Then went on to Montana to get that sign.
Here are the pics from that ride.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Hopefully, John won't post his verification pictures… :rotf:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Another question to you start over again when you buy another motorcycle?:wave

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another question to you start over again when you buy another motorcycle?:wave
Not me, I am counting the states that I have ridden in period!!

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:histerica
I only count the states I have peed in.
John could get four states at once if he was standing on the 4 corners monument and peed in a circle!!! :)

Of course he might get arrested!!! :histerica

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Not me, I am counting the states that I have ridden in period!!
Not to change the topic
But I notice you have a Triumph in your stable. Which reminds me of an embarrassing moment on Cadillac mountain ME. Across from me were 4 bikes I thought I could easily identify. Went across to group to introduce myself yes I'm on the black LT over there since they were backs to the bikes so did not see me approach. My Q was who is on the 1600 and the one guy said that is a Triumph Trophy 2013 was his. But the dual exhaust threw me for a loop. Sheepishly I looked a little closer.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Same image, taken from a different angle -

Might explain the raging forest fires out west :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts