BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Community Manager/Admin
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

We would like to first start of by apologizing to the community, founders, and staff of the site for the recent confusion and mis steps taken. I don't want to bring it all up again in detail but I will just say there were errors made on our part and we want to move forward. My main goal is restore trust and make it right for you all.

As a motorsports enthusiast and long time forum power user I understand your frustration and would feel the same way if this happened on one of my favorite home base communities. This place is a special site to many of you, you have met lifelong friends, shared personal stories/adventure, developed a community and knowledge base for like minded enthusiasts. Our intentions were not to destroy or hinder this but to protect it, however the steps taken were heavy handed. That being said we have been working on resolving issues and speaking with key members in order to understand what happened, what intentions were, and to make sure it does not happen again.

I would like to mention the following steps we have already taken to help restore the community.
- Unbanned or taken key members out of Tachy (if I missed anybody please let me know)
- Resolved the Virus issue
- Removed word filters in posts and PM's (you are free to discuss and mention YouRide)
- It is allowed to post links to other sites, we just do not allow "spam" or "mass" pm's

I know there is still damage control and work to be done. Just be patient and reach out to me so I can handle it personally. I would prefer to keep this thread from turning into a flame or bashing thread, it is an open forum to discuss the future and apologize for the past mistakes. We hope to earn your trust back as company and myself as an Admin on the site.

Thanks in advance for the understanding and feel free to reach out to me anytime with an @mention or PM and I will respond ASAP.

Jeff
Community Manager

·
Community Manager/Admin
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't send you a PM. Need my max PM reset based on Lifetime member. The
Setting changed on my end, I could only received from mods/admins. Must have been a default.

Fire away.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Thanks Jeff.

Everybody and everything ends up with an issue(s) from time to time. How we respond to these issues is a good measure of our true character.

You are on the right track.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Hello all,

We would like to first start of by apologizing to the community, founders, and staff of the site for the recent confusion and mis steps taken. I don't want to bring it all up again in detail but I will just say there were errors made on our part and we want to move forward. My main goal is restore trust and make it right for you all.

As a motorsports enthusiast and long time forum power user I understand your frustration and would feel the same way if this happened on one of my favorite home base communities. This place is a special site to many of you, you have met lifelong friends, shared personal stories/adventure, developed a community and knowledge base for like minded enthusiasts. Our intentions were not to destroy or hinder this but to protect it, however the steps taken were heavy handed. That being said we have been working on resolving issues and speaking with key members in order to understand what happened, what intentions were, and to make sure it does not happen again.

I would like to mention the following steps we have already taken to help restore the community.
- Unbanned or taken key members out of Tachy (if I missed anybody please let me know)
- Resolved the Virus issue
- Removed word filters in posts and PM's (you are free to discuss and mention YouRide)
- It is allowed to post links to other sites, we just do not allow "spam" or "mass" pm's

I know there is still damage control and work to be done. Just be patient and reach out to me so I can handle it personally. I would prefer to keep this thread from turning into a flame or bashing thread, it is an open forum to discuss the future and apologize for the past mistakes. We hope to earn your trust back as company and myself as an Admin on the site.

Thanks in advance for the understanding and feel free to reach out to me anytime with an @mention or PM and I will respond ASAP.

Jeff
Community Manager

This post means a lot to me!! An acknowledgement and apology go a long long way for me and I appreciate it.

I accept your apology.

Thank you

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
Thanks for all the hard work resolving the issues. Now there is one more that I have a problem with. When I go to the Classified section I get logged out. I log back in and try to post a comment and get logged out. They (other admins) have been no help to date. Just thought I would give you an uncontroversial challenge:wave.

Reactions: VS Jeff

·
IBR# 366
16,568 Posts
Thanks, Jeff, for stepping up here. It means a lot to us.

Enthusiast sites like these are built on community, ease of use, and trust. Violate those, and people will simply go elsewhere.

Your willingness to address the issues raised both publicly and privately goes a long ways towards rebuilding that trust.

For as big as this website is, we're actually a pretty tightly-knit group, and we do look out for our own.

I wish YouRide.us all the best in their endeavors, and hope they find a worthy audience over time. I'll be spending some time there, as I know and respect many of the current participants, and I want to see where it heads.

But I'll remain here as well, keeping in touch with friends old and new.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
My friend Nate Coe called me a couple of days ago asking why I had stirred up such a "kerfuffle" (his word). I love that word. I didn’t stir anything up, I just got caught in the vortex. Those of you who know me know that I am rarely at a loss for words, but I was silenced during the whole dustup. Now that I am free to post again let me try to explain a few things.

First, I am working with Andy on another web community. The idea for the new community was born over 5 years ago, a long time before this web community was sold to VerticalScope. My idea for that community was to build a home for all riders of any brand of cycle - two wheels or three. It was to be run under the same guidelines (standards of behavior) I developed for this community, but not sharply focused toward any particular brand or style of rider. It was simply to be an “Enthusiast’s Community”. Enthusiast Communities, LLC is the partnership we created when we built www.bmwlt.com and K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion - Home. Right there I have misstated, we didn’t build the communities, we just put the foundation down. The members, all of you, built the communities. The new community was never envisioned as a replacement for this great community. We didn’t want to draw people away, because the focus of the new community was to be clearly different than this one.

When the decision was made to sell these two communities we chose VerticalScope because they had proven themselves good shepherds of other communities they purchased. My first and foremost goal was to protect the two communities and provide them with the stability to ensure their future. Despite some of the overreacting by VerticalScope from the beginning of this kerfuffle, I still believe they are a good organization and plan to leave this community running as it always has for the last decade. I am still an Admin on this site. I have and will continue to respond to anyone who sends me a message about any issue they have with the operation of this community. You can PM me or email me through the contact page.

I do not want to get into any of the nuts and bolts of the dustup that Jeff is desperately wanting to bring to an end. I do not want to address who did what to whom and when. I do want to state unequivocally that I have no desire to drive people away from this site to the new one. Those of you who know me know how hard I worked to grow this community as well as growing and managing the Curve Cowboy Reunion which grew from the beginnings of this community. I was a strong voice and founding member of both entities. To try to drive you away from this community would violate my desire to keep this community whole. It also violates my desires for the new community because I really don’t want it to be populated by a bunch of BMW enthusiasts, even though that is what I still ride. We welcome any of you to visit us “over there”, but it is not a replacement for “here”. If you want to join a community that is attempting the daunting task of putting motorcycling first and putting brand allegiance on the back burner you might like it over there.

For clarification, VerticalScope gave me full reigns to mention the new site by name but I will leave that to the others who are already doing so. We welcome any of you to stop in and visit and if you like it better you can make it your home. If you like both, visit both. If you want the preeminent BMW Luxury Touring site in the world we hope you remain here and continue to grow it.

In closing, I remain available to help any of you here, just drop me a message. Jeff should be your first point of contact for issues relating to this community and he has pledged to honor the “gentle moderation” guidelines of the past and if there is ever a problem in the future he promises a much more measured response. They have no problem with the free and open discussion of competing communities of any kind. We both have a problem with any effort to spit a community. I honestly believe this kerfuffle (I really like that word) was not the result of an effort to do that. I think it was grossly mishandled by the management of this community, but it will remain a “teachable moment” and they will unlikely make the same mistakes again.

In closing, do any of you find it odd that Ken Meese was the one with the measured and balanced responses in the original thread? Did the earth’s poles shift recently and I slept through it?

·
Community Manager/Admin
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replys all,

I will respond to all PM's and requests Monday am, been traveling this weekend but I wanted to check in.

Glad we can move forward and thank you for the understanding.

Jeff

·
Community Manager/Admin
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the hard work resolving the issues. Now there is one more that I have a problem with. When I go to the Classified section I get logged out. I log back in and try to post a comment and get logged out. They (other admins) have been no help to date. Just thought I would give you an uncontroversial challenge:wave.
Weird,

Can you nab a screenshot on this or is there a thread of you guys had already been working on that I can reference? Once I get some more data I can hotfix it through the developers when they are back in tomorrow. Canadian Holiday.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Weird,

Can you nab a screenshot on this or is there a thread of you guys had already been working on that I can reference? Once I get some more data I can hotfix it through the developers when they are back in tomorrow. Canadian Holiday.

Jeff
So just to confuse things a little, I can go in and out of the Classifieds section with no issue... :confused:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
Weird,

Jeff
Ok here is a series of shots. Start at the top level in classified, then click on an add(logged out), hit the back arrow(logged in), click on different ad (logged out) while on ad log back in, then click on "forums" (logged back out).

Browser is Chrome.

Attachments

·
Community Manager/Admin
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Might be just me but when I click on "Your Notifications: 4" in the top right of the home Page then click on "New Likes Received" I get this.

Not Found

The requested URL /member.php was not found on this server.

·
Community Manager/Admin
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Might be just me but when I click on "Your Notifications: 4" in the top right of the home Page then click on "New Likes Received" I get this.

Not Found

The requested URL /member.php was not found on this server.

@katnapinn

I have seen that on sites before, however just tested and seems to work for me on Chrome on my PC. I will test further and let ya know what I find.

How about with the @mention notification?

Jeff

1 - 20 of 27 Posts