BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a 1999 1200lt, and fitted a new battery last July. The bike was not used a lot during the winter, but was on an opimate charger. It now turns over really slowly, as if the battery is flat, if at all. I have taken the battery back for checking, and was assured it is in good condition, with cranking amps above 170. Is this likely to be the starter motor, or the brushes, and what sort of job to replace either? Is it a known problem?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you may have a bad or lose connection at the starter which may also lead to the fact that the old battery may have been replaced prematurely.

Hope this helps but I'm sure other, more experienced, techies will chime in.

Regards...

Mugz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.

I have just connected a battery via jump leads, and it starts OK. I would think that indicates the battery, as I would expect bad starting if it was the starter brushes??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think it's solved. Although supplier did a drop test on bettery, I have had it tested independently by Bosch dealer using snap-on tester. Result came back "Replace Battery"
Just got to get him to replace under warranty.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue. Certainly would drive me batty if I get confirmation that a part is good when, in fact, the opposite is true...

Regards...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts