BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 K1200LT. It has been sitting for about three months. I put a battery charger on it and tried to start it. It spins over real fast and feels that it is on the verge of starting, but no luck. Is there a place I can spray a little starting fluid without taking off the tuperware?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
May not be fully charged yet. If its a trickle charger will take several hours. If its real low it will take a regular charger first to bring it up close before a trickle charger will work. As far as using starting fluid, I wouldn't, but others may chime in here. A little Seafoam in the tank can only help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is fully charged and motor spins fast. I even tried starting with the charger in start/cranking mode. Sounds like it is on the verge of starting. I think the gas might have gone bed. Tank was almost empty. I added new fuel, Hoping that a little bit of starting fluid will start the motor and burn through the small amount of gas that was there. Where is the intake to the airbox? Do I have to remove the plastic? I'd perfer not to. Please Help.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Go to the front of the bike, look up under the faring on the left as you face it. Look like the end on a horn, black plastic.

Never had to try it, good luck.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Does it smell like gasoline after you cranked a few times?

·
Registered
100 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
Go to the front of the bike, look up under the faring on the left as you face it. Look like the end on a horn, black plastic.

Never had to try it, good luck.
If you spray there, the fluid will pass through the air filter. The element might get damaged.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Presently having the same problem.

With my Ford F450.

Spins over and won't start.

Problem here is the high pressure oil pump that makes injectors inject.

Gonna be about $2500 before its back to running, under the turbo.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
You might first suspect the fuel. Maybe you can suction out the old and replace with new.

If you use starting fluid, beware. Take your LT outdoors and make it a 2 person project. Have the helper give it a 1 second spray (while keeping their face clear of the intake chamber), then you hit the ignition. Just be careful of engine backfire and other ignition sources

1 - 9 of 9 Posts