BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help starter is engaged all the time..........would that keep the battery flat,even when its going
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
kellenbenz said:
You have a stuck starter relay..low voltage causes this. Search the forum for stuck relay and there is a procedure for unsticking it.
You will need a fully charged battery.
Check out this link:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34792&highlight=relay+unstick
Ron
Exactly.
You may be able to unstick it, but you should get a new relay since the contacts are damaged. The new version of relay contains a voltage detector circuit that prevents cranking at low battery. Part numbers are shown in the thread referenced by kellenbenz above.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,595 Posts
rdwalker said:
Exactly.
You may be able to unstick it, but you should get a new relay since the contacts are damaged. The new version of relay contains a voltage detector circuit that prevents cranking at low battery. Part numbers are shown in the thread referenced by kellenbenz above.
What year did this new version come out? I have an 07 LT and wonder if I have the "smart" relay or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Voyager said:
What year did this new version come out? I have an 07 LT and wonder if I have the "smart" relay or not.
I do not know exactly, but supposedly it was sometime in the mid-2001 model year. Many earlier ones were retrofitted. My 2001 model has the voltage-sensing relay installed.

This post may shed some light - according to it, "the new version of the starter relay has been in the bikes since VIN number ZD 77402. The new relay retrofit kit part number is 61 35 7 663 945".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,595 Posts
rdwalker said:
I do not know exactly, but supposedly it was sometime in the mid-2001 model year. Many earlier ones were retrofitted. My 2001 model has the voltage-sensing relay installed.

This post may shed some light - according to it, "the new version of the starter relay has been in the bikes since VIN number ZD 77402. The new relay retrofit kit part number is 61 35 7 663 945".
Well, my VIN is higher on the letter part ZL vs ZD above, but my VIN number is lower than the above. Not quite sure how to interpret that. Maybe the letters don't increase in alpabetic sequence???
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,115 Posts
Voyager said:
What year did this new version come out? I have an 07 LT and wonder if I have the "smart" relay or not.


Yes you have the smart relay.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top