BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. When I press the starter button, I can hear the relay making clicking sound, but starter does not turn

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Danie, based on your past posts, you have a 2003 LT. Those were built with a low voltage cut out to protect the starter relay from over current and fusing. If you have not done any maintenance where wires or battery was removed, I would immediately suspect the battery. List your battery type and age. Have it tested. If you have done maintenance, please tell us what you did.

Also, make sure you are in neutral with the side stand up and the kill switch is in the center just to check all the bases.

EDIT:
Also make sure your reverse selector is in the right position.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had battery tested. Still the same. When I press starter button, there is a click in relay. I opened ans cleaned the points. No luck. Does it have a solenoid and where can I look for it?
Thanks
Danie

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
1. Does the headlight go out when you press the starter button?

If not then you are missing the connection from the starter relay to the starter.

If it does go out that connection is good but you may be on a bad spot on the starter commutator. Put the bike in 5th gear and with the clutch let out rock the bike backwards several times. Roll forward against the drive line slack and then bounce backwards hard. This will move the engine backwards and will also engage the sprag clutch and spin the starter a bit. This may move it enough to catch on the next start attempt.

Reactions: sailor and Patric
1 - 6 of 6 Posts