BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I have never encountered before!! Went to start my 2000 K1200LT trike yesterday, and the battery was too low to turn the engine enough to start. Lifted off the starter button, the starter continued!! Turned the key completely off, the starter continued!!! Wrenched off the ground lug of the battery to stop it, then proceeded to charge the battery. Battery now charged, key off, no finger on the starter button, starter runs as soon as I connect the ground lug even with the key off. Turn the key on, and the engine starts. I cannot tell if the starter is still running when the engine is running. So, I don't know if I have a faulty start switch, faulty solenoid, faulty starter....anyone have any idea?????? Help!!

(By the way, I also operated the forward reverse switch a couple of times while the battery was disconnected.)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Something I have never encountered before!! Went to start my 2000 K1200LT trike yesterday, and the battery was too low to turn the engine enough to start. Lifted off the starter button, the starter continued!! Turned the key completely off, the starter continued!!! Wrenched off the ground lug of the battery to stop it, then proceeded to charge the battery. Battery now charged, key off, no finger on the starter button, starter runs as soon as I connect the ground lug even with the key off. Turn the key on, and the engine starts. I cannot tell if the starter is still running when the engine is running. So, I don't know if I have a faulty start switch, faulty solenoid, faulty starter....anyone have any idea?????? Help!!

(By the way, I also operated the forward reverse switch a couple of times while the battery was disconnected.)
Try holding the start button then connect the battery then release the button
. It should break loose after a couple of tries. If not then the start relay contacts are welded and will require replacement. If it breaks loose either replace the relay or do the Ford start relay replacement.

Robert

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Scouter-50 is right. It is a known issue with cranking N early LT on a low battery. The high current draw fuses the contacts. Sometimes you can get them to release and other times not.

There is a replacement relay and harness that installs the newer relay with a low voltage cut out to prevent this issue. Not cheap but it shouldn't happen again if installed.

61 35 7 663 945 SET: RETROFIT KIT, STARTER MODULE (to 05/01) 0.24 1 $207.94

As Scouter-50 said, hit the starter button a couple times to see if you can get the contacts to separate after connecting the battery. Only 2 options. replace it with a like relay from Beamer Boneyard or update it to the new one from a dealer. BBY I think sells the new relay but doesn't sell the updated harness. Only cones as a bundle from a dealer.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
You guys have really helped this fellow out. I would like to add for future readers of the thread, this is a perfect example of why to keep a smart trickle charger on your bike if you do not ride it every week. (or even less, a battery of questionable quality will go to low voltage in just a few days).

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2000 LT. It is the relay. Not really hard to fix, but you do need to take the gas tank off to get to the relay. Might as well do some other maintenance while you have it off--like the air filter and the gas filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts