BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my 02 LT apart to replace the right fan so thought I would also replace the starter relay with the new type at the same time. Fan and relay have been replaced. Went to try the starter nothing!! I have check all the usual things side stand, neutral, reveres, just want to make sure the starter is working before I put it all back together. Any Ideas ???

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
First, I'd put the old relay back and see if the problem goes away. That would give you a place to start.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
When I did the new relay on my 2000 the wire colors did not match. Some one on the board gave me the correct way to wire it. Will look for my notes tonight.

Jim Campbell

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a wiring book and this is not a color match problem. I also down loaded all info from this site before starting.

Ken good idea but I did not want to undo all my work if I could avoid it. Hope someone will have another idea, but if not then tonight it gets taken back apart.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
How did you make out when you took it apart? You said you have the wires correct and I beleive you. I had a wiring problem when I did mine. Old relay wire brown/green with white rings goes to new relay wire brown with black strips. Brown wire plugs into the new brown relay wire and it just loops back and plugs into brown at white connector. Mine is a 2000, so colors maybe different on you 02. Maybe correct or not but I thought the new starter relay was phased in 7/2001 with VN # ZD77402. Hope yours is a easy fix good luck.

Jim Campbell

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you have the colors right the next thing I'd check is the provided Scotchlok if you used it. Next, I'd charge the battery. The new relay is designed not to operate if the battery is low.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim, Just want to say a big THANK YOU for your persistence. I did not get home in time to take the new relay apart, 14 hour work day. I read your post and rechecked my wires well they were wrong. It was the brown/green with white rings connected to the wrong wire. Reconnected per your post and she works. Thanks you saved me a lot of work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts