BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode last Monday. When I got home I forgot to disconnect my GPS. Went to use the GS911 on Wed. (just because - no symptoms of anything). I pushed the starter button and discovered that the battery was almost dead. The starter stayed running, and I knew there was trouble. Before I could disconnect the battery, everything went quiet. Well I charged the battery overnight and on Thurs decided to go and see what the damages were. The bike started up just fine!!!!. The contacts in the relay were not welded. Lucky to save $175 for a new relay. My wife said "hope you learned something". Guess I better pay more attention to disconnecting any thing wired to the battery - specifically the GPS.

·
Registered
656 Posts
jaskjb said:
I rode last Monday. When I got home I forgot to disconnect my GPS. Went to use the GS911 on Wed. (just because - no symptoms of anything). I pushed the starter button and discovered that the battery was almost dead. The starter stayed running, and I knew there was trouble. Before I could disconnect the battery, everything went quiet. Well I charged the battery overnight and on Thurs decided to go and see what the damages were. The bike started up just fine!!!!. The contacts in the relay were not welded. Lucky to save $175 for a new relay. My wife said "hope you learned something". Guess I better pay more attention to disconnecting any thing wired to the battery - specifically the GPS.
Just a thought Jim but something like a Centech AP1 w/relay would stop that from happening

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You were lucky that you didn't have to buy a $175 relay but you were even luckier you didn't have to tear the bike down to its skivvies to swap it out!

Loren

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
It is convenient to have the GPS unswitched so it can be used with the bike turned off.
But, I know myself, I'll forget and leave it on just like you did.

So I have all accessories including the GPS powered through relays that are switched off when bike's key is off. I do have to turn on the bike's ignition to power up the GPS but it keeps me from forgetting to turn it off.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Well , I had the the starter relay stick on my '86 K100/EML... twice:rolleyes: . The first time it was under warranty , so I got a new relay. The second time I took the relay apart & filed the points & put it back in. I figure I can always buy a new relay , & I wasn't out anything to try to fix the old relay. I then put a Ford car relay in so the BMW relay was still in place. But it acted like a switch to control the Ford relay. The Ford relay energised the starter. I ran a car battery in the trunk of the EML, so if it was a bit low it could still put the Amps to the starter relay, but not the voltage to have it start... I thought I would have problems with the BMW starter relay after taking it apart, but I never did. Anyway it worked for me...Your results may vary...:bike:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Jim,
I am glad you didn't have to strip it down. If you do get into the guts of the machine let me know. I would like to come out and look at it.

Sorry we haven't got together this year for a ride. Haven't been around much. Take care and give me a call sometime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts