BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some service work for a friend on a '99 LT. The stock Bosch starter relay has been replaced with an automotive-type relay/solenoid, (part # SAZ 4201GE; 12V P10B). The unit is assembled in Mexico and, I'm assuming, is a GE (General Electric) product.

All electrics work fine on the LT except the starter button engages absolutely nothing ( no clicks, no noise) and there is dead silence when pressing the start button. The bike starts fine with a "push" start and runs like a champ.

I'm thinking the starter relay is bad. Neither I or the current owner have any knowledge of when the factory relay was replaced with the current automotive relay. We assume the current relay did function for some length of time and was chosen by some PO as a replacement for the Bosch relay due to cost.

Is it advisable to use an automotive-type relay versus the Bosch relay? If so, we may elect to go that route from a cost consideration standpoint.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,108 Posts
Looks, like what you have is a starter relay for a lawn tractor, based on the part number.

It may work for a while but I doubt it is rated for 75 amps like the BMW relay is. Some have even used a smaller relay in the relay box but have it feed a Ford starter relay mounted under the seat area.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Maybe load shed relay instead?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,108 Posts
wrmoss said:
Maybe load shed relay instead?
The load shed only reacts to the starter - it has no effect on it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello Dakota Dude

Check and see if the is 12 VDC + at the starter relay control terminal when start button is pushed
If not check side stand , neutral gear or clutch interlocks
If so check for 12 VDC - at other starter relay coil terninal if not check bike to see if reverse works if so starter is ok and also reverse controler is ok .
The 12 VDC - is interlocked down from the reverse controler through the reverse shift linkage mico switch - mine went bad also

Bob G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts