BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok brain-trust. Riding an 02' I've had since new, ok not really riding enough since I have only have about 8k miles on it. That is the problem I found out. Long story short I welded the starter relay shut because I tied to start with a weak battery. Since then I've read the horror stories of a $200 relay from the dealer. I called local shop to check on price/availability and they said they have one in stock at $85.

$85 for a relay is still outragous, but I was challenging the girl on the phone to make sure it is the "new and improved" relay. She said it is what the book calls for as an 02' since they were modded after a certain month in 01'.

She said this one is blue... Does that help anyone give me a clue whether it is the correct one? I haven't torn the bike down yet and my superman vision is failing these days. Is the "blue relay" the right one indicating it is the nw and improved. I really don't feel like going to the dealer and insisting they charge me $200 if they are declaring the price at $85.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
The NEW relay to install in one that has the old relay is a kit, consisting of a wiring harness, socket, and relay. It is possible she is just quoting you a replacement relay for the newer system, not an installation kit for upgrade.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
You're about to learn a lot about your bike and you've got your work cut out for you.
The starter relay is in the electronic box under the gas tank, that means you pull of both sides of the tupperware, the radio/stingray before you can get to the fuel tank.
the older relays had the leads bolted on (see picture)
the newer ones are plug in, my 02 made in 1/02 had the plug in.
It sounds like you're not going to know which you have until you get in there.
If you're interested I have a used blue relay (from my totaled 02) for half of BMW's price, shipping included. money back guaranteed to work

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Old relay still works

Some folks have unwelded the stock relay and kept on using it without a problem.
The procedure for unsticking the relay, if I recall correctly, is:
Put in a good, fully charged battery, don't connect the negative terminal wire.
Hold down the starter button and keep holding it down while making the negative terminal connection at the battery.
This in most cases has popped the rely contacts apart.
Then just don't let the battery get low again and it will probably work fine without the trouble and expense of a new, improved relay.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
researched that post :-(

Doing my research I found that info "last ditch attempt info" and tried it with no avail. Thx anyway.

Picking up the relay this weekend. Its going to be a long weekend of screwdrivers and cold beverages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts