BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals. I rode my mistress to work the other night. In the morning it wouldn't start. I did push start it because there was no help available. when I got home it started fine. when I tried to start it today it was a no go. It seems to me I had a similar problem when my dealership was open and it was the ground wire was loose. I checked the battery and it's at 12.95 volts. I did do a little searching and have seen all of the other problems it could be and was wondering what are the signs of each. I have the battery pulled and I've been up for 23 hours (3rd shift) so I won't be putting the battery back in until the morning. It didn't sound like the stater was trying to start on it's own. So I don't think it's the welded relay. I'm hoping it's the ground wire because it sounds like an easy or at least free fix. Also is there an easy way to get to the starter to check the wire. Thanks as always everyone here is the best.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
There is no ground wire on the starter but a 5mm allen at the rear where it goes into the transmission housing. This is the only good ground for the starter. You can test the motor easily as the starter positive wire is routed back to an insulated tie point (the one on the left in the photo) behind the battery. Just use a heavy cable from the positive terminal of the battery to this tie point and the starter motor should run if it has a good ground.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.