BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so while I have the LT down for the transmission repair I think check the alternator and starter out while I am in there. The alternator is fine with smooth bearings and good brush length. The starter looked good in the brush area but the front bearing was a smooth but did not appear to be sealed and was dry. As I added grease it began to get rough. So a new bearing is in order. Dave Selvig gave me a number of a guy that rebuilt his, but I thought I have resources here in town that service Denso starters. I checked with them and they show the unit and there is a PN for the bearing but no price. He calls the Denso rep later in the day and those are not available. Could be like so many things BMW uses they lock up the parts so you have to buy new.

I looked at what EME had available both new and rebuilt units but they also had a repair kit for the RS version of this starter. It is single ended (no reverse) so there is no rear bearing just a bushing and the brush plate has on two brushed vs. the three on the LT starter. I bought the kit and sure enough it has all the o-ring seals (except the rear seal to the tranny) the shaft seal and the front bearing all for $29.95. So if you are stuck and need a front bearing this is the way to go.

The second picture shows the old parts from my starter.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
That is what I found in looking for a rebuild kit for that starter. Only 2 brushes on any replacement plate. If this kit has most of what is needed, then I am getting one and possibly 2 if one of the brushes might be transposed to the third position. Buying 2 kits is still cheaper than one brush plate from BMW. Let me know what you think. Can you use one of the brushes in the third position easily?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe you could but my brushes were just not very worn at all maybe 8/10 of the new length was left after 102 K worth of starts and reversing.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I believe you could but my brushes were just not very worn at all maybe 8/10 of the new length was left after 102 K worth of starts and reversing.
While you have it apart, can you still measure the full length of a new brush? Want to compare that to what is in greyc03's old starter. His had a lot of debris in it if you remember. His brushes were 9.59, 9.44 and 8.88mm

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new brushes were 12 mm. Mine was a bit dirty but not that bad. I think you could use them but any good starter house can get brushes.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Hi John,

I got a spare alternator I'd like to put bearings in and clean up the armature. I don't want to force it apart. Have you have the armature out of one yet? The brushes were toast and the bearings feel a little rough too.

TIA

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a spare also but I have not split it apart. The bearings feel good and the brushes are also good so I never opened it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts