BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help. The battery went dead on my 2002 K1200LT. Totally dead.. I recharged on the trickle charge and the Starter does not even click or make any noise when I try to start. I have read some threads on the starter relay sticking but the description of the problem is that there is alway a whinning noise when the button is pushed. When I push the button there is nothing and the Alarm goes off. The Alarm goes off every time. I reset the Alarm and nothing. Any ideas? Do I have to get someone to help push start me to get to the dealership? Thanks, Del

·
Registered
826 Posts
Try a new battery first. These late model beemers require strong electrical power to run the bike. Your current battery may have some dead cells.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
It sounds more like a battery trouble. Your bike is now at least 4 years old, and most likely so is the battery.
You didn't specify why/how the battery went dead... I suspect it happened one morning when you went to start the bike. Perhaps you even noticed a progressive performance degradation when starting in the past few weeks, but didn't think much of it.
I believe the starter relay welding shut was an issue early on but the issue was corrected on later models.
Try giving your battery a full charge using a battery charger, and not a battery tender. If it does not hold the charge then go on eBay and look for an Odyssey gel battery, or if you prefer get a lead/acid battery (same as stock).
It would also make sense for your alarm to go beserk with a low battery, as your electronics need sufficient and constant power to perform as designed. I am pretty convinced that your problems will be resolved with a new battery... but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I just ordered a new one from www.ebatteriestogo.com for $70.95. ub22-12n w/ free shipping, a bit cheaper than the dealership

·
Registered
191 Posts
I hope you didn't burn out your ABS module too. Those things are very sensitive to low voltage.

Given the price to replace that ABS part, it's known sensitivity to low voltage, and the chance failure due to low voltage just outside of warranty I believe that the battery should be a maintenance replacement item at 24 months (better $100 every two years than $2,000+ for the repair). I believe BMW is remiss in not making more note of this sensitivity.

Some people have reported great, long life, service from their batteries but as for me .... I replace at 2 years so I won't pay for that repair again (at least not for battery reasons).

Good luck on your starter.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
easy things

dcravens said:
I could use some help. The battery went dead on my 2002 K1200LT. Totally dead.. I recharged on the trickle charge and the Starter does not even click or make any noise when I try to start. I have read some threads on the starter relay sticking but the description of the problem is that there is alway a whinning noise when the button is pushed. When I push the button there is nothing and the Alarm goes off. The Alarm goes off every time. I reset the Alarm and nothing. Any ideas? Do I have to get someone to help push start me to get to the dealership? Thanks, Del
Del,
I do the easy things first.

I check the battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight. If you remove them for cleaning, while they are off, check the battery and recharge it if need be. Then if the starter doesn't operate, and the battery is 3 years old or older, I'd replace it. I found a cheap Panasonic and plan to renew it every 2 years. $46 including shipping.

Good luck. Most times electrical problems are hard to find but easy to fix. Ugh!

Just my .02 worth!
Vern

1 - 7 of 7 Posts