BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving OK today no problems at all. Parked the bike and came out an hour later and the starter wont turn. Battery is OK, nothing left on (I am always conscious of ths)
Pushed started the bike and it started instantly. Rode it for 15 miles then stopped and its the same again, starter motor not working. Measured the voltage on the battery it read 12.6. Its a 2005 model with a new battery 6 months ago. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I would check all safety switches first.....reverse....kill switch...side stand...etc.

Ron

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
Look behind the battery for two cable tie points. One is insulated and that is the starter feed tie point. (the other is a common grounding point) The starter relay output, the reverser controller output and the wire direct to the starter all tie together there. Make sure it is tight.
If it is tight then take a good sized piece of wire and breifly jump from the tie point direct to the battery + terminal. The starter should spin if it is OK. If the starter spins then your problem is the relay or a switch that feeds it. Try cycling the reverser switch to see if one of the micro switches is hung up. (The starter button output goes through that switch before it goes to the starter relay).

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
markmoloney said:
Driving OK today no problems at all. Parked the bike and came out an hour later and the starter wont turn. Battery is OK, nothing left on (I am always conscious of ths)
Pushed started the bike and it started instantly. Rode it for 15 miles then stopped and its the same again, starter motor not working. Measured the voltage on the battery it read 12.6. Its a 2005 model with a new battery 6 months ago. Any ideas ?
Had the same thing happen to my 99...it could be two other things that have not been mentioned.

1. It could be a loose bolt on the starter...it's the only ground for the starter. Headlights sometimes will not work or they will flicker due to the loose ground. If the bike had any recent work to the transmission this could be a good lead. The Load shed relay can cause your problem. Here's a link for more info...
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52278&highlight=load+shed+relay

2. In my case it was something a little more labor intensive. Motor oil had saturated the brushes of my starter...thus, not allowing it to have a good ground. I could push start it and she would run very well. Now, the bad news...to get to the starter you will have to drop the tranny which means you will have to disassemble the bike. This was my problem. I posted about it but I cannot find it right now. I would exhaust every other possibility before going for this option.

Here is the link to my post http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54124

Good luck...and until you can figure it out...always park on the top of a nice incline.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say tie point what are actually referring to in your picture. Is it where the yellow crimped cables are ?

One more piece of information, the last time the bike started on the starter button I did a bit of reversing for about 35 seconds and then drove off. The starter button has not worked since so I suspect it has something to do with the reverse switch.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
The tie point with the yellow crimps is the ground tie point. The other one has a blackplastic cap (with two legs) over the 10 mm nut. That one is the starter tie point. But if you did reverse recently I would just cycle the knob back and forth a few times and see if that fixes it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts