BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2000 LT sat alone in the garage for about 6 weeks while ice and snow hit the northwest. The battery was 2 1/2 years old so it didn't surprise me that it had expired. I did neglect to put the tender on it before the snow storm hit. Honest, I meant to get her out for ride but the early snow was very unusual for these parts. I just put a new wet cell battery in her this evening. Hooked up the positive wires. Then, when I touched the negative cable to the terminal, the starter motor came on. The ignition and the kill switch were off. So I turned the kill switch and ignition to on, touched the wire to the negative terminal and the starter motor came on and the bike started. It sounds like the starter disengaged from the motor. Turned off the motor but the starter still ran. What's happening??? Hopefully nothing expensive got fried. I've replaced the battery before and have never had this problem. The bike has never been jump started. Help!
Terry

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Starter Relay

The starter relay has welded itself shut..

This happens on the early models when you try to start the bike with a low battery.

Hook up the battery and tap the starter switch a couple of times with the key on. Sometimes it will unstick...

You will need to get the updated relay kit to install on the bike.

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
your starter relay is stuck, a common occurence on the pre-02 LT's
if you tried to start the LT with a almost dead battery,
the bad news is the relay is buried under the gas tank,
the good news is some have been succesful disengaging the relay,
there's a lot of information regarding this subject,
do a search for starter relay.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
This thread should give you some pretty good info on the stuck starter relay syndrome that several pre-'02 bikes have experienced. There are several threads on this subject throughout the website. Good luck in finding a fix.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for being available on Christmas eve and for all the good information. This is the first time a battery has ever got this low, so it makes sense that it caused the problem. Have a very Merry Christmas and many fun rides in the New Year.
Terry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sheeeze, I forgot to tell you that I tapped the started switch and the relay released and all is well. But, has the relay been damaged? I mean, can I ride with a good battery until I need to pull off the tank to do some other maintenance and replace the relay then? I'm a little spacey, spent the day assembling wrapping toys and kitchen sets for the grandkids. Thought working on the bike would be relaxing! Thanks again for all the support.
Terry

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Route66 said:
Sheeeze, I forgot to tell you that I tapped the started switch and the relay released and all is well. But, has the relay been damaged? I mean, can I ride with a good battery until I need to pull off the tank to do some other maintenance and replace the relay then? I'm a little spacey, spent the day assembling wrapping toys and kitchen sets for the grandkids. Thought working on the bike would be relaxing! Thanks again for all the support.
Terry
If you got it unstuck, as long as the battery voltage does not get low again you will likely be OK. However, at the earliest convenience I would install the upgrade kit. Kinda expensive, about $130 if I remember correctly, and requires removing the existing relay and installing a small harness, relay socket, and new relay. The new one has a circuit in it to disable it if the battery voltage is too low.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Route66 said:
Terry
Good chance that you're good to go, AS LONG AS the new battery is kept charged and not allowed to go south. BTW - there have been reports of both a OEM replacement relay, as well as a similar type relay from ?John Deere?. I can't find the particular thread at the moment, butt if you have some time over the next week or so, try some searches and see if it turns up. Or maybe somebody here will recall the info.

Glad you're back in bidness. Have a great Christmas - sounds like the kids are gonna have one for sure!!!

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
When the relay on my '99 LT stuck, I got it unstuck using the method described here. I rode the bike for another year with the original relay installed, then eventually got rid of it before I had the chance to upgrade the relay. So just plan on doing it the next time you need to pull the tank for a major service. Or just don't let the battery get that low again. :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd just ride the bike until the next time you need to take the tank off for servicing. I think the new relay kit is now about $200. You can upgrade the relay or just make sure you never try to start the bike with low voltage.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
260 Posts
I want to thank you guys...

For saving me from total frustration. I was getting ready to install a new air and fuel filter this afternoon and I thought "man, I just like to hear is run before I do this" and turned the key to s sputter of low battery. My charger has a "JUMP" feature so I though "what the heck, I'll just jump it" and when I attached the clamps and turned it on and BAM! my starter started churning away and I freaked because the key was off! I disconnected the battery as quickly as I could and every time I connected it back the starter tried it's thing just as you all have noted. Reading this thread calmed me considerably, I ripped all the stuff down, pulled the relay, smacked it a few times (probably a few more times than I needed to), changed the filters, put it all back together up to the tank, freshly charged battery in and all worked like it should have. I am thinking I should get the upgrade relay kit, but now that I know what's up I think I will wait until I get annoyed by it happening again... $211 for a relay is robbery. You guys who took the time to document this stuff are my heros, thank you, thank you, thank you!

ps.. On the positive side, I am getting pretty good at getting the tupperware on and off these days!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
david_yancey said:
---------... $211 for a relay is robbery. You guys who took the time to document this stuff are my heros, thank you, thank you, thank you!

ps.. On the positive side, I am getting pretty good at getting the tupperware on and off these days!
The upgrade kit is more than just a relay. It is a special relay with internal voltage monitoring circuitry, a new relay socket, and wiring harness. Still expensive, but worth it to keep from having welded contacts again.

There have been a few who have just replaced it with an external automotive starter relay, which is a much cheaper approach if you don't mind a non-stock system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Starter relay stuck

Same thing happened to me: Weather bad, bike not ridden or started for several weeks. then when I finally get around to it, starter makes about 3 revolutions and the battery dies...Couldn't get decent connections on the terminals (Odyssey battery, pan head bolts on the terminals) so pulled the battery out to charge. All is well till I touch the neg terminal, then it starts to crank. First thing I did was ck the threads re starters/relays, and bingo, here it is. Had me somewhat puzzled for a while....did not want to be taking all the tupperware, gas tank, etc off just for the starter relay. But that simple procedure of switch on, starter button depressed and touching the neg batt terminal a couple times did the trick.
Thanx for the help!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts