BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit puzzled. My K1200LT (2000) was garaged for December/January. I had the battery on trickle charge. Two weeks ago I decided to take her out for a run. Disconnected trickle charge, turned on ignition, all dash lights on ready to go. Touched the starter button and there was a click, and everything died! No lights on dash.
Assumed battery had failed and left it (no trickle charge connected) while I was away for a week.
Today, armed with booster starter, got ready to tackle the problem. But when I turned on the ignition - all lights on dash came on. Tried starter, and she started no problem!! :confused:
So I am wondering is there some sort of cutout which may have activated, and then re-set itself?
All is well now - but I am curious as to what happened. Just in case it happens again!! :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
How old is that battery? Even on a charger battery's have a finite life span the LT is very sensitive to the amperage output and one failed cell will be enough to kill the its ability to start.

noelma said:
A bit puzzled. My K1200LT (2000) was garaged for December/January. I had the battery on trickle charge. Two weeks ago I decided to take her out for a run. Disconnected trickle charge, turned on ignition, all dash lights on ready to go. Touched the starter button and there was a click, and everything died! No lights on dash.
Assumed battery had failed and left it (no trickle charge connected) while I was away for a week.
Today, armed with booster starter, got ready to tackle the problem. But when I turned on the ignition - all lights on dash came on. Tried starter, and she started no problem!! :confused:
So I am wondering is there some sort of cutout which may have activated, and then re-set itself?
All is well now - but I am curious as to what happened. Just in case it happens again!! :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,139 Posts
OK The reason all the lights went out was either a loose battery connection or the starter relay stuck on. There is a load shed relay that gets its ground through the starter and it releases (cuts off all the lights and loads) anytime the starter is engaged. There is also a small 5mm allen at the rear of the starter that provides the gound to the starter since it is double ended and has sealing o-rings on each end. If that screw is loose your light will cut out and the starter will not turn.

I am inclinded to say a loose battery connection or that 5mm allen is the cause of your issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips!! Sure enough I found one of the battery connections loose! Should have thought to check that before posting!!! :eek:

·
Registered
256 Posts
noelma said:
Should have thought to check that before posting!!!
Not at all, I would look at posting the question here first as being the most efficient way to go about troubleshooting!

Ride happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts