BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have noticed lately that the starter button does not work first time everytime. I need to push it 2, 3, 4 times before it works. Is this a known issue that I can perform pre-emptive maintenance on?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
The starter button doesn't work on my 2004 the first try sometimes. It's been like that for years.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've also noticed that no matter how many times you push the right turn signal button, the starter will not engage.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I will have that also where I will push the button the first time it will not work

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
After turning on the key, need to give it a few seconds for the brain to do a sanity check before it will start. I wait till the Valentine also does its self check and chirps, then it always starts first push of the start button.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I also noticed on my bike that the horn will not honk when I hit the left turn signal..............:cool:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems my post as brought out the sarcasm in the American humor. Something I think the rest of the world thought it was devoid of.

I know we Aussies are upside down, drive on the wrong side of the road, eat out coat of arms, swim with man eating sharks, have drop bears in the aussie bush and even had a female as our Prime Minister.

I can however make the distinction between a blinker switch and a starter button. This is acheivable through my Coca Cola bottom glasses. Yes we do have access to medical services in our remote part of the world.

I could go on, but need to get back to chasing the kangaroo's out of the back yard, stopping the dingo's from eating our newborn, checking the toilet seat for any redbacks, (that is a spider) and other matters that would not interest you.

Oh, by the way, we are in the mid of winter and had to endure a day of sunshine and 20 degress celsius. Enjoy riding most days of the year. Last Saturday was great.

Brian

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Brian, wasn't sarcasm on my part. Can't tell you how many times I've suffered a moment of panic when my bike wouldn't start. Then noticed the blinker flashing.
So, what's your pet wallaby's name? :wave

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
It is true though that waiting until the fuel light goes out is a good thing. Gives the fuel rail time to pre-charge. Same way on most fuel injected vehicles. Well.......... that and don't use the turn signal button for your starter. Personally, I like turning on the left turn signal with my push-to-talk button. One of my favorite activities.:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
There are issues on some years with the starter relay.
Mine has stuck on a few times.
The indication I am going to have a problem is headlight and other electrics not working, then I turn off engine and starter spins.
Hitting button 2 or 3 times gets it unstuck.
Mine seems 180 deg diff than yours but similar.
You guys could also have a button going bad or water and corrosion getting in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts