BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... Been quite awhile.

My Baby started to act like the battery was low, charged it and the same, Bought a new Battery and still the same. (Was stored for 6-7 months due to surgery - wanna ride ya know)

OK... so I stripped all the tupperwear and pulled the tank to look at the stater relay.

QUESTION: If you jump the two connections on the relay should the starter engage?

I get nothing.

Any ways to check to see if my starter has retired itself?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I have never had any luck jumping between the line/load terminals on a starter relay. In theory it should work but in application all I ever got was big sparks and carbon marks. The proper way to jump the relay is to jump between the always hot line terminal to the small blade terminal. All that really does is bypass the starter button and safety switches. You can attach a volt meter to the load terminal (the one that goes to the starter terminal) and then measure to see if you produce voltage with the starter button and/or by jumping to the control terminal. While you're in there check the common ground to make sure it's tight and not corroded.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,064 Posts
You can also test the starter but jumping the insulated tie point behind the battery to the battery + terminal. That is a direct feed to the starter. If you still don't get starter movement then check this little 5mm allen. It grounds the starter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I know most auto parts store do starter and alternator testing (probably off of the vehicle). Has anyone ever had them test an LT starter?

If it turns out you need a starter, feel free to email my handle @aol.com or PM me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts