BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As this took a little bit longer to find than I had expected. I thought I would post it.

Another member had tired of his BC1. He purchased a Starcom1 (?). While doing the wiring and making the connections, a few things that did not sit well with either of us was the connection to the headsets and the headsets themselves. (He has J&M audio on three helmets) The supplied headsets, although not tested, look cheap.

The connection, unless you pay the $50 for the snap jack, is left dangling. Just a pigtail strapped to what ever point you wish. Seeing that the SC unit uses simple PS2 (computer mouse connection) I thought I would try to make an adapter. It is an ongoing process (I have everything I need today, will test tomorrow) This way, he has the starcom and can use the J&M set ups he already has AND uses the oem connection point on the dash.

Which brings me to my post. The starcom1 pin outs.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hoss
The Starcom is what Eileen and I are using, for the most part we are very happy with them. The main thing is they are half the price of AutoCom (at least from what I found) and much smaller. We have not had any problems with cables, having to plug into the pigtails doesn't bother us, so far no problems. The helmet wiring has been reliable, but the speakers suck, I have tried some other speakers (expensive) with no improvement if you are using earplugs, you just have to use so much volume with the earplugs that the speakers distort badly. I went to the helmet set you can plug earphones into and what a change! There are a few good earphone sets out there, we are using S-Plugs and are very happy with them so far. I don't know if Ed and Dovie use earplugs with speakers so they may not have the problem we had doing so, time will tell.
Good Luck
Larry

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just another point of view here on the quality of the Starcom headsets. I've used J&M headsets for many years and was quite happy with their audio quality. For a variety of reasons I just switched to a Starcom Digital unit on my RT and was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the audio with their headset. Music has good base, clear highs and I've got all the volume I need, even with earplugs. Of course, one man's hi-fi is another man's lo-fi and I should also note that my music source is a good quality aftermarket Pioneer head unit. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I may have had to turn mine up more, I spent alot of years on a Harley. Glad yours work well (although I think the helmet you use makes a difference also).
Larry

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well (as far as the above posts) YMMV.....
As I left the Crum & Crum residence we got the adapters to work effortlessly. Simple plug and play. Now when you look at the bike all looks like stock OEM. with the exception of the PTT, which upon examination has some sort of resister inside. Didn't want to risk something smoking. Now the OEM look is maintained, His old helmets (J&M) can be used and more importantly he can dump the BC1..... Just have to fine tune some things then Ed has to put her back together. (this is the first time he has undressed the lady) I'll try to get a schematic made up just for GP..... But its pretty simple with the above info...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hoss to the rescue! Good job, now stop the rain so we can go test it out.
Larry

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed a StarCom1 Advanced unit on my '07 1200RT last month (Feb) and I'm quite pleased with it. I installed the stock closed helmet headset in my Shoei RF1000 and I can carry on phone conversations, talk to my passenger (wife), and listen to my iPod nano at 70 mph. Still trying to eliminate RFI noise on the CB (suspect alternator and/or fuel pump), but after installing a couple of choke filters and a Firestick NGP antenna, it is usable (kind of anal about perfection). I'm considering installing the headset with the earplug adapter because of wind noise and hearing protection; might also help with understanding the CB radio conversation better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks Shoswell, This is precisly what I want to do. I too have the J&M headsets and want to use the OEM connection points for the headset. I have found all the Starcom components online and am going to purchase. I may contact you if I run into any problems with the connectors.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TVPearson said:
Thanks Shoswell, This is precisly what I want to do. I too have the J&M headsets and want to use the OEM connection points for the headset. I have found all the Starcom components online and am going to purchase. I may contact you if I run into any problems with the connectors.

Thanks!

All the starcom parts are regular A/V cables available at your local Radio shack. Look at the ends and get and s-video and ???. no need to order starcom1 parts! :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shoswell,
I spoke with a Starcom dealer and he said the J&M headsets are not compatible with the Starcom intercom system. Something about Dynamic versus Electronic activation??
I ordered the unit just to see for myself if it will work. Have you ever heard anything about this issue?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TVPearson said:
Shoswell,
I spoke with a Starcom dealer and he said the J&M headsets are not compatible with the Starcom intercom system. Something about Dynamic versus Electronic activation??
I ordered the unit just to see for myself if it will work. Have you ever heard anything about this issue?

Thanks
Well, I attempted to "google" the two for a definition reading through a few posts, I think they are speaking about the fact that with the OEM starcom parts, when you plug in the lower cord, it activates the unit itself. (I.e. Plug in- power on, plug out- power off) that said, the non-oem version worked fine as It would appear that the switching is done internally, i do see reverend to 0v on the schematic, but it worked on my tester and again on the final version.

Now, since then C&C has converted over to full OEM starcom. Due simply because he broke off a pin on the upper cord. Instead of replacing the cord, he swapped out the J&M for the starcom. Play with what make you happy is the moral of the story. :bmw:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts