BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my lt for about 3 weeks took it for a long spin on the sunday about 340 miles but finding im sraping the stand on bends i know is shouldnt lean so far but cant help it

·
Banned
588 Posts
Stiffening the rear suspension helps. So does hanging off. I found that my 2000 scraped easier (all hard parts and lower fairing) than my 2006 (just stands and pegs).

·
Registered
836 Posts
Check your pre-load.

Buy a set of Wilbers..

I did both. No regrets.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Scraping the Sidestand

Or, buy a set of Ohlins.
Much better than the stock shocks.

Already replaced the sidestand (ground down the front foot)
and centerstand (broke the crossmember).
Thought about replacing the right lower fairing.
Wore a hole in the front leading bubble.
Maybe later.
Haven't replaced the footpegs,
though the lower outer trim is ground to a 45 degree angle from scraping.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
You have not told us what year your bike is, but if it is an older model with manual center stand, here is something else you can do to stop the scrapes.
Get down on the ground and have a look where the stand rubber bumpers are, take a stanley knife and shave them back to half length - no more scrapes (well a lot less anyway)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wilbers and Ohlins are great shocks and make the LT handle like it is on steroids.

I went with Wilbers as they will adjust height at no cost. Mine are raised about 1/2" over stock and this greatly helps with scraping. The tires are worn over to the chicken strip with no effort and no scraping, and this is usually two up!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Unfortunately, Wilbers USA no longer sells Wilbers shocks but they do service and rebuild them. Since their falling out with the Wilbers factory in Germany they have changed their name to EMP Performance Imports. They are now selling Hyperpro shocks but I have yet to see a model listed for the K1200LT.

It looks like the Wilbers factory has other distributors in the USA. Click here to get to their US dollar pricing. The Wilbers site also lists the following service sites in the US:

MAX BMW Motorcycles
www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com
866 MAX BMW1

MAX BMW Motorcycles
209 Lafayette Rd
North Hampton NH 03862

MAX BMW Motorcycles
845 Hoosick RD
Brunswick NY 12180

MAX BMW Motorcycles
Opening this Winter
Northern New Jersey

Beemershop
34 Janis Way, Suite E
Scotts Valley CA 95066
USA
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 831-438-1100

Nick´s BMW Motorcycles
2246 Mid Valley Drive
Depere WI 54115
USA
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 920-347-9144

They all offer the full line of Wilbers shocks for sale. The only price list I could find on any of them was at Nick's BMW and it is the same one I provided a link to on the Wilbers Germany site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts