BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a nice days ride to test out a couple bikes today. I sampled a real nice '03 Honda ST1300 with Corbin seat and bar risers and less than 10,000 miles. Nice bike with good fit and finish with ample power along with comfortable handling. One thing I did not like was the engine, the V-4 was shaky and vibey and noisy! No thanks.

Second bike was a Kawasaki Concours 1400. Fit and finish not as nice as the Honda, bags and plastics seemed cheap but once fired up and rolling all that was forgotten. What a glorious engine this bike has, it flat out hauls and does it smooth, gracefull and quiet....like riding a spaceship. :D Handling was nice but the seat tended to force me forward, with bar risers and a seat change it would be about perfect I think.

They offered me a fair price for the LT but after spending 220 miles on the LT today with the radio playing and the cruise control set I think I'm gonna keep the big girl around awhile longer. Just need to get a better seat to complete my LT bliss....my ass is killin me. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did notice some heat but the ride was a short one as I decided early on it was not the bike for me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The ST still has the heat issues.

I think the ST is the best bike for the money. Of course the GT is a better bike but it costs thousands more. Connie is ok but I think it's a little too sporty for a sport tourer.

The LT is the best bike around, every now and then I get tired of holding the big girl and think of an ST or GT, but they don't offer the same protection from wind and cold weather as the LT so I probably will never make the switch.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Yup, sometimes my eyes wonder to a younger girl with less girth...but I ultimately return to my LT, which fits just right, is a joy to ride and most comfortable for those long days in the saddle. :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Nice comparison of the three. I have spent too many years on smaller japanese bikes to even notice any seat discomfort on the LT. Feels pretty darn good to me!

I was seriously looking at the Kawasaki Concours until I happened across the LT on the internet. I researched the dickens out of it, my teeth chattered a little bit when I found out about the FD problems and then one day, half way through a 250 mile ride a champagne colored LT rolled into the Dismal Nitch rest stop along side the Columbia River and I was hooked! Couldn't think of anything else until I got mine.

I still have 4 bikes. Wish one of them was a Connie!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I still think the best buy out there if looking for a used bike is the original Connie. Powerful, handles well, and is reliable as hell. you could probably pick up an '06 for around $6K or less now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
pickerbiker said:
Yup, sometimes my eyes wonder to a younger girl with less girth...but I ultimately return to my LT, which fits just right, is a joy to ride and most comfortable for those long days in the saddle. :D
Yes to that one!!

I rode a friend's ST for about 150 miles through the Ozarks recently and they are no doubt a fine machine!! Smooth, quiet, with plenty of torque, also rode a friends 2000 Connie, nice machine also. Then I get back on the LT and it corners as well as any of them, even though she is a bit phatt. But that "fat lady" can dance!! :bmw:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Added to that list the R12RT. LT still won out. W absolutely LOVES the LT's back seat - best protection of anything we've ridden.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ST you rode may not have been "right".....they are typically very smooth and comfy.

To me the ST is at the comfy side of sport touring and the Connie and K-GT are at the sporty side.

Depends on what you want....our LT's are super comfy but still sporty for a luxury touring rig, but a sport tourer they are not.....

The only peer the LT has is the Wing....NO other luxo tourer has everything the LT offers but the Wing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shriker said:
ST you rode may not have been "right".....they are typically very smooth and comfy.

Yeah I was expecting more from the ST, the engine in this one certainly shook during acceleration. The sounds it made also did not appeal to me but barring that it is a comfortable bike. If I want vibes I'd get an R/T. ;)

Of course any of these bikes can have heated seats, grips, cruise, GPS, taller windshields ect ect added to bring them closer to LT territory and I'm still leaving that option open for the distant future. Perhaps a third bike.......... :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Overall I gotta go LT. You'd be hard pressed to find another "couch" with such manners.
If you really need a little more sport I would go to an RT. The ST and Concourse are great,
but the RT has such a wonderful feel. When I can afford it I will have both an LT and an RT.
Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seems funny to hear that the ST is noisy compared to the LT. I had an ST1100 and it was smooth as silk. Not exactly something I could say about my LT, it has much more "character".

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wow - ST1100 AND LT mentioned in the same post!

I currently have one of each and I think they both have pretty smooth engines! And both handle the engine heat very well. Too bad the ST1100 is such an old bike now... :eek2:

Jon

·
Registered
495 Posts
I wish the BMW marketing types would finally help me out!! I want a Brand new RT with a Brand New K 1300 motor in it. That would be the only thing that would make me give up the LT that has been so good to me when she is purring and not limping because of the three dreaded problems we all know so well!!

They will never listen to me though!!!!

Later Steve A

SmoothK12 said:
Overall I gotta go LT. You'd be hard pressed to find another "couch" with such manners.
If you really need a little more sport I would go to an RT. The ST and Concourse are great,
but the RT has such a wonderful feel. When I can afford it I will have both an LT and an RT.
Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
stevea2980 said:
I wish the BMW marketing types would finally help me out!! I want a Brand new RT with a Brand New K 1300 motor in it. That would be the only thing that would make me give up the LT that has been so good to me when she is purring and not limping because of the three dreaded problems we all know so well!!

They will never listen to me though!!!!

Later Steve A
Aren't you describing a GT?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
tonygret said:
The article repeatedly states the crashes were in the 100 to 110 MPH range. At those speeds you take your chances with any bike. No?
Possibly, but from my experience the LT is as solid and stable at 100 mph+ as it is at 60 mph.

Zero shakes, shimmies, handlebar slaps etc. Just smoooooth like buttah!

If you ever need a fun game to play when you are off the freeway and on primary roads pull up behind a truck chugging 45mph up a hill, check to make sure it is safe to pass drop down to third and see if you can make 100 mph at the front bumper. Kind of livens up the day. My only regret is that I don't get to hear the K engine at 100 mph.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Possibly, but from my experience the LT is as solid and stable at 100 mph+ as it is at 60 mph.

Zero shakes, shimmies, handlebar slaps etc. Just smoooooth like buttah!

If you ever need a fun game to play when you are off the freeway and on primary roads pull up behind a truck chugging 45mph up a hill, check to make sure it is safe to pass drop down to third and see if you can make 100 mph at the front bumper. Kind of livens up the day. My only regret is that I don't get to hear the K engine at 100 mph.
A 100, the K engine just feels to me like a sewing machine............power on..........power off...............power back on...............sweet............... :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts