BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what happened.
New employer informs me that someone else may be using my SSN for employment purposes and that I should check into it.
I order up a credit report that shows nothing but my own stuff.
I contact the local Social Security Office and they seem unable to verify if someone is or is not using my SSN.

Anybody on here have any experience with this kind of situation. Is there some other agency I should contact.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
I would ask the employer why they believe someone else is using your ssn. Then depending on the answer, either SSN office, law enforcement, DA's office, or a lawyer.

I think I would start here:
http://www.ssa.gov/oig/hotline/when.htm

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would want to know as well, how or why your employer thinks someone is using your SSN? Checking with the IRS is a good idea too, if you can get through the log jamb and find someone with 1/2 a brain. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,169 Posts
You may also want to contact INS as many illegal immigrants use fake IDs and random numbers to get jobs... As INS routinely checks employer's record they may stumble upon your number if used by someone else.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Soc Sec has everyone's work history. You can get a copy of it, but you'll have to pay. In my case, going back 30 years, it would have cost 200 to 300 bucks. If you need to search only the past few years, it's a lot cheaper. It shows every hour reported and every employer associated with your ssn.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
patrick2000 said:
Here is what happened.
New employer informs me that someone else may be using my SSN for employment purposes and that I should check into it.
I order up a credit report that shows nothing but my own stuff.
I contact the local Social Security Office and they seem unable to verify if someone is or is not using my SSN.

Anybody on here have any experience with this kind of situation. Is there some other agency I should contact.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Mighty nice of your employer, BUT, what they told you is worthless, other than to worry you! Ask your oh-so-helpful employer what or why they believe that?

Your next step would be to go to Social Security and obtain a lifetime record of ALL your employers (and "contributions"). But, as you pointed out, this is only possible IF the worthless hack(s) in the office are willing to help you. Perhaps try a another office if one is not willing to help you.

The next step is the IRS (again, if you can find someone that will even help you).

In theory, if someone where claiming your Social Security number as theirs (false personation) this would HELP you, by increasing your SS contributions. It could hurt you, however, with the IRS, if another person was increasing your income, but not paying taxes on that income.

The IRS generally is fairly speedy at contacting you when they feel that your owe them money. Don't ask me how I know that? :eek: If this little pleasantry were to be the case, then you would have a local as well as federal, law-enforcement, false-personation case. The IRS does have criminal special agents. If you can't talk to one of them, try stopping by or calling your local FBI office and see what they tell you.

In the meantime, sign up with a credit monitoring service that notifies you instantly if someone tries to open ANY account using your Social Security number.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts