BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has there been any success having squealing brakes repaired under warranty? 2 months old & becoming progressively worse. brakes function fine but the noise is embarrassing.

thanx
denis

·
Registered
66 Posts
As a nOOb, I can only respond to your question with my learnings from this site. But as a well-seasoned motorcyclist, I'd have to agree! My dealings with BMW in the past (this if my 4th) has been somewhat south of "stellar". Noisy brakes that still work well are not at the top of their list for warranty.

EBC brake pads. I'll install some on my rear caliper Tuesday. My front brakes don't make a peep.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I reported squealing brakes at my first service (1000km) last week... same response. "It's the xxxx (type) brake pads, doesn't affect braking though".
Annoying, nonetheless! But its only in that last 5 metres as I pull up next to the cars and they start looking at shiny new bike with the horrible brake noise...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Squeeky Brakes

I think BMW believes 'Loud brakes save lives'.... better than loud pipes I suppose.
I wish they would fix mine too. It is EMBARRASSING.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Squealing brake fixs...

There are a couple of issues here with BMWs brakes. The most complaints seem to come from NEW bikes for a couple of reasons.

1. New brakes need to be bedded in. The routine is pretty simple: Accelerate up to 60 or so and REALLY nail the brakes. Grab a hand-full! Speed back up and let the brakes cool - 3 to 5 minutes of riding. Then, do it again. HARD.

2. The BMW stock rears are an organic compound and they tend to *Glaze* over a bit. Once glazed - they howl. Many users tend to baby the LTs power brakes and that exascerbates the issue. Give your brakes the same exercise you give the throttle. Ride it like ya stole it!

3. Switch to EBC rears. They are better, but, still do all the above.

This is tried and true by many riders!
Good luck. :cool:

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Thanks JA, makes sense.
Will make it fun playing in the traffic in the morning.
Now if I can just catch that light as it turns red...

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Get a set of Rear EBC brake pads and ride the bike normally. That's what I did even after dealer attempts to fix the problems. Now they are quite as a mouse. :D

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
Yep, at my 600-mile service (with 1160 miles on it) the dealer "cleaned the front brakes" and replaced something (I'll have to ask him again) on the rear brakes. Both sets of brakes were becoming increasingly louder and more annoying. I don't have the bike back yet to confirm they have returned to their normal/quiet mode because the clutch is being replaced (another story, another post) and the bike is still in the shop.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Howard,
did you end up getting any more info on the "squeal" fix from your dealer, if indeed they did fix it?

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
cws said:
did you end up getting any more info on the "squeal" fix from your dealer, if indeed they did fix it?
No, I've been too busy enjoying the bike to call. I'm off the rest of the week; I'll call and find out what they did. But that doesn't really matter, because the rear brakes squeal just as much as they did before the service.

On this point: can I assume the dealer will NOT install EBC pads at my request, under warranty? And if not, how much do they cost?

Regarding a previous reply in this thread: does the "bedding" process described earlier actually solve the problem (negating the need to buy replacement pads for a new bike)?

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
cws said:
it's only in that last 5 metres as I pull up next to the cars and they start looking at shiny new bike with the horrible brake noise...
EXACTLY what mine do. I find myself using the front brake in traffic (to avoid embarassment), rear brake or rear & front when no one is around. That's nuts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did have relatively quite brakes until i installed the EBC Pads. I needed new pads to correct an alternating flashing ABS Light problem so I ordered rear and front Pads from Bike bandit

the link,
http://www.bikebandit.com

I still have the EBC on the front, although I used a Brake quiet compound on the back sides, which helped the squeal, but not the rubbing sound from the front.

The rear are worse with the EBC pads than they were with the OEM pads, they squeal like a Banshee the last 10 secs of a stop... I have used the Red Brake Quiet Compound on the back side of the pads with out much of luck.

I would not use the EBC on the front, use OEM. If they squeal with the OEM on the rear, I would try the Anti Squeal Compound first, if it does not work you can use the compound on your new EBC, with EBC, you cannot lose, at worse you may end up the same squeal.

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
scoobydoo said:
The rear are worse with the EBC pads than they were with the OEM pads, they squeal like a Banshee the last 10 secs of a stop... I have used the Red Brake Quiet Compound on the back side of the pads with out much of luck.
Interesting that yours is the first post I've seen that says the EBCs didn't solve the rear brake squeal instantly. Guess it's not for everyone.

Where does one buy Red Brake Quiet Compound -- any auto parts store?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I posted several times over the years that the EBC's on the rear did not fully stop the squealing, but still squealed a little when just about stopped with low pressure on the brake pedal. They did stop the squealing/growling at higher speeds and high pressure though.

I learned to use the rear brake only until just about stopped, then front only for the last bit to prevent the squealing when using the EBC rear pads.

I would NOT use EBCs on front again, had one set, pulled them off after about 8,000 miles. Could not stand the incessant rattle with them. Stock BMW pads on front are as good as you can get.

·
Registered
368 Posts
hschisler said:
I find myself using the front brake in traffic (to avoid embarassment), rear brake or rear & front when no one is around. That's nuts.
I thought that our brakes were linked so it didn't matter which lever you used.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
The linked brakes did not start until 2003, leaving thousands of us with unlinked brakes, not necessarily a bad thing. :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
dshealey said:
The linked brakes did not start until 2003, leaving thousands of us with unlinked brakes, not necessarily a bad thing. :D
Howard's sig states that he has a 2005 LT

·
Registered
346 Posts
hschisler said:
Interesting that yours is the first post I've seen that says the EBCs didn't solve the rear brake squeal instantly. Guess it's not for everyone.

Where does one buy Red Brake Quiet Compound -- any auto parts store?
My rear EBCs also still squeal at slow speeds, even with the red NAPA CRC stuff applied to them. Can't think of anything else to do. Oh well. :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Where does one buy Red Brake Quiet Compound -- any auto parts store?[/QUOTE]

The compound is called "Disc Brake Quiet" by Kleen-Flo. I puchased the 4oz bottle at "Lordco". Suspect it would be available at any UAP, NAPA or Pet Boy's.

I paid somewhere around $9 Canadian, so that would be like a buck in states ;)

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
kaygee said:
Howard's sig states that he has a 2005 LT
I do have an '05 LT, and the brakes are linked. Now, I can't tell you if their "linked" proportions are different when applying front only v. back only, but (as others have posted) I use the front brake control only, just as I come to a stop. in order to avoid the noise. The rear brakes squeal only when the foot brake control is applied.

Who has info on how the brakes are linked differently when applied by hand control v. foot control?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts