BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip in spring - Hamburg to St. Petersburg. Anyone ridden these countries, and any advice you might like to pass on?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...changed a bit - UK - Hamburg- through Germany- Poland - Chech Republic - slovakia - Hungary - Austria - Germany - Home (UK)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Which route are you using to/from the continent Woolly?

I understand Stena are offering some pretty good deals on their Harwich - Hook route; I don't know whether they're offering similar deals on other routes, but they may be worth a try.

If you're planning to be near Heidelberg on the way back, let me know.

·
IBR# 366
16,548 Posts
I've ridden through Germany, the Czech Republic, and Austria. No real issues or problems, except for dealing with differing currencies. The Euro now makes that a bit easier in some places.

I wanted to extend the trip into Slovakia and Hungary, but was glad I didn't when my rear drive failed in the middle of nowhere.

Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Polish asphalt roads are terrible when it´s raining. I don´t know what kind of asphalt they are using, but when these roads are wet, it´s like riding on ice. CAREFUL IN POLAND IN THE RAIN. And don´t leave Your bike unguarded at any time in Poland. Jari

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've heard that the Czech city of Prague is particulary bad for vehicle crime as well as street crime, pickpockets Etc. Government run tourist site even warns you not to bring any shiny fancy vehicles into the city <?> Every hotel either has a car park or a guard for street parked vehicles for residents. Hotel reviews normally suck, blaming UK stag parties and the like for trashing hotels and normally giving people a bad time.
We were supposed to be going there in June 05 on the bike, but after some in depth reading about the place, gave it a miss. Weather was the deciding factor, thunderstorms forecast for the full week, cobbled streets, rain and motorcycles just does not compute. We instead spent a brilliant time in Bruge & Bastogne, Belgium, Maastricht & Haarlem, Holland all absolutely wonderful cities that can take days to see. Hope you have a brilliant time wherever you end up.

·
IBR# 366
16,548 Posts
We stayed the night in Prague as it was on our way from Vienna to Dresden. Neat city, lots of old European charm, but with a new, lively feel to it all. I could see how the increase in tourism also brings an increase in opportunistic crimes, but we didn't have any troubles. (It was Paris where our bike was broken into and most of our stuff stolen).

We stayed in a hotel that was originally a nunnery, then became secret police holding cells before its current upgrades. It was a bit off the beaten path, but did have a tiny guarded parking lot and was walking distance to downtown. I'd still like to go back and spend more time there.

On our way out of the city, a local offered to trade his beat up old Bimmer for the LT. Had I known I was going to lose the rear drive mere hours later, I might have taken him up on it . . .

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Late spring ride is planned - Newcastle - Germany - Poland and back - should be good. --- but my 'trip buddy' fancies an early Spring trip beforehand to North Africa - overnight to Bilbao, down through Spain to Algaceras, ferry to Morrocco, ride through North Africca to Tunis, then ferry to Marsailles and ride back to NE of England. My thoughts are - North Africa = disposable bike. I would love the LT down to south of Spain, but then fancy something like an old Honda Transalp (well comfy) through Africa, where, if there is any trouble, I can dump the bike & fly back. Anyone been through North Africa - Do I ride the LT or cheapy secondhand?? _ I'm thinking bout a Honda Transalp, but the trip down would be balls aching ... any ideas (or anyone been there ???)

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Woolly said:
Anyone been through North Africa - Do I ride the LT or cheapy secondhand?? _ I'm thinking bout a Honda Transalp, but the trip down would be balls aching ... any ideas (or anyone been there ???)
Ted Newman could probably give good advice.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Woolly said:
My thoughts are - North Africa = disposable bike. I would love the LT down to south of Spain, but then fancy something like an old Honda Transalp (well comfy) through Africa, where, if there is any trouble, I can dump the bike & fly back. Anyone been through North Africa - Do I ride the LT or cheapy secondhand?? _ I'm thinking bout a Honda Transalp, but the trip down would be balls aching ... any ideas (or anyone been there ???)
Depends where you are going in North Africa - if you are staying on the main roads and north of the Atlas Mountains you should have no problems with the Big Beast BUT to experience real North Africa go down to the Sahara - even that can be done on the K1200LT - then if you want go into the desert a bit it is better to go in 4X4 Land Rover or a GS type of bike the older 'Air-Head' boxers are the best for such terrain.

But be aware that crossing from Morocco to Algeria to Tunisia can be a bit tricky and it is better to check with the various embassies before going. The other thing is insurance for the bike - most insurance companies do not cover you outside of Europe and arranging a special can be expensive although for Morocco you can actually purchase a temporary third party cover when entering at the port.

If you do go enjoy it - Morocco, especially Marrakesh and the Atlas Mountains down to the Sahara are terrific and there are some pretty good hotels BUT the cheap local variety can be a bit suspect.

Just to add I am no longer on two wheels (well not motorised) but I still yearn for them!! So if you see an old grey beard in an MGF or a KIA Sorento (with or without caravan) waving at you it probably me

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Wooly,
Same as Ted, I have been twice to Morocco and once to Tunisia on a BMW Cruiser, and also agree that an LT would not be a problem.
Doubt VERY much that you could get to Tunisia via Algeria, as they are still not tourist orientated.
Also you have quite a lot of paperwork at Moroccan customs just to get the bike in, and you CAN'T leave the country without it.
Great roads from Bilbao to Algeciras, mainly toll free motorways, paid for by the EU, i.e. you !.
Simon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts