BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm going to throw this out into the ether. If anyone on this list needs to borrow a spring compressor I will be happy to send one to them for the shipping costs. Just return it for the next person on your nickel.

Robert

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Hi Robert, I might take you up on that come spring. I have some shorter springs to put on my R1200GSA. We are snow birding in Florida for the winter, but when we get back home in the spring... I plan on changing my springs out on my GSA.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Patric said:
Hi Robert, I might take you up on that come spring. I have some shorter springs to put on my R1200GSA. We are snow birding in Florida for the winter, but when we get back home in the spring... I plan on changing my springs out on my GSA.

Don't know if it will work. I built it for the K1200LT. It has a 2-1/4" hole with clearance for the adjuster fittings. I'm game.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
..... and if Robert's is in use and you need to use one the same day/week/whatever (or you are closer/more convenient to my area), my spring compressor is also available provided you pay shipping both ways. Mine was made by Robert as well.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Hi, thank you for the offer. My original plan to change my spring was to use zip ties. I was planning to put the shock in a press to compress the spring s bit. Then put 6 or 8 zip ties around each par of coils. So the first coil is tided to the second the second coil is hooker to the third & so on. If it takes 500 pounds to compress the spring & there are 5 coils in the spring. So each coil will take 100 pounds to hold it in compression. With 5 zip ties it will only put 20 pound on each of them. Then put the new spring in the press, compress it & zip tie it there. Put in on the shock & after I have it put together, cut the ties.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patric said:
Hi, thank you for the offer. My original plan to change my spring was to use zip ties. I was planning to put the shock in a press to compress the spring s bit. Then put 6 or 8 zip ties around each par of coils. So the first coil is tided to the second the second coil is hooker to the third & so on. If it takes 500 pounds to compress the spring & there are 5 coils in the spring. So each coil will take 100 pounds to hold it in compression. With 5 zip ties it will only put 20 pound on each of them. Then put the new spring in the press, compress it & zip tie it there. Put in on the shock & after I have it put together, cut the ties.
Doesn't sound very safe. I don't trust zip ties for anything structural. Been bit too many times.
Robert

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
As just having completed this job, I would not use zip ties at all. It might work on the original front shock, but would not work on the rear, and certainly not on the replacements from hyper pro. There is too much force needed and too many things can go wrong too quickly. One zip tie break and it would not take long for the others to follow suit. Fingers don't grow back unless there is some lizard DNA floating around.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Patric said:
Sounds like a BAD IDEA and the seeds of an EPIC FAIL.

Keep in mind that, if your reasoning holds true, it may be only 20# per zip when all in place, but each one that breaks or gets cut substantially increases the load on the othes, probably beyond their ability to reliably hold.. Further, you need to release the tension fairly evenly to seat the spring properly.

I though about doing the job with ratchet straps as on a YouTube video I found, another disaster waiting to happen.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Patric said:

Wow! Where's Ron and his lectures on motorcycle safety when he's needed? :eek:

You must have some really industrial strength zip ties to even ponder such an idea.

I use various sizes of these regularly in my work, and I am always coming across defective ones that break upon tightening due to being stored in extreme heat or excessive exposure to sunlight (again, heat related I'm sure). Others have been cheaply made overseas products. I'd hate to find this out while trying to secure a compressed coil spring.

·
Registered
399 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Sounds like a BAD IDEA and the seeds of an EPIC FAIL.
YMMV
+1. Holding a spring compressed with zip ties? Am I the only one amused by the thought of all those zip ties breaking in rapid succession and wondering what direction the uncoiling spring will take? :histerica

Between this and the Roadsmart thread I never knew this site could be so funny. Is the moon full?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts