BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty sure sprag clutch not engaging. If I push start and ride for a while will it free up the clutch or is push starting just a one time deal to get you back home? Buying used 2000 1200lt in Dallas and need to get back to MO. Thanks?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
If you hear the starter motor running when you press the button but it is not turning over the engine that is the sprag clutch. Push starting does not even move the sprag clutch. You will have to clean the clutch to get it working again but it may just be intermittent. Mine spun once and never again. Faily easy to clean with removal of the crank case cover.

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Push started. Ran around for about 30 minutes. Turned off. Started right up! Drove home 650 Miles. All’s good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You figured it out. Great! I could tell that was the response you wanted. Help on the road to get home. Sorry I didn't know. Wish we could have helped.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What if cleaning doesn't help? My cuz, on his rs, having tough time. What's next? (Without major surgery)

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
What if cleaning doesn't help? My cuz, on his rs, having tough time. What's next? (Without major surgery)
How often does your cousin change his oil? Probably the best prevention for this is regular oil changes, both in mileage and time. I am not talking crazy frequent oil changes, just regular ones. I have 85,000 miles on my LT and have never had a starter clutch issue yet (knock on wood). I change my oil once a year or at 6,000 miles as the case may be. Most years, I end up with an annual change, but years with a big trip, I will get a couple changes. I think frequent riding helps also. Letting the oil drain off of parts and then having the residue evaporate can begin to build up a film on the metal from the less volatile components of the oil that remain. Long periods of sitting with old oil is probably one of the biggest issues for sprag clutches and similar parts.

Reactions: Mark65 and Patric

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
The last time I was in there to fix the transmission input bearing at 102,000 I went ahead and pulled the intermediate housing to clean my sprag and it was spotless. Total waste of time. But I had one from a dead 100 K engine and the sprag was all gummed up. Don't know the oil history on that one.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
The last time I was in there to fix the transmission input bearing at 102,000 I went ahead and pulled the intermediate housing to clean my sprag and it was spotless. Total waste of time. But I had one from a dead 100 K engine and the sprag was all gummed up. Don't know the oil history on that one.
I can guess at the oil history. :grin:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am very new to K1200 and never open the engine yet (I own the bike for only a bit more of 2 weeks).
However, I am very experienced on the K100.
About 10 years ago, I wrote a small page about sprag clutch principle for the K75/K100. I would believe that the K1200 has the same unit.
People have had a very good success running diesel detergent oil to clean the sprag.
If the clutch has the same configuration as the old Ks, there is another solution to fix it without opening the engine.
You will have to open the crankcase cover (easy) to access a very small lubricating hole on the ring of the sprag clutch. Then, you can spray some cleaner or WD40. I attach a picture to this post to help you locate the lubricating hole.

See on my page here: starter_clutch

The K100-forum tech page may have other good articles that could apply to the K1200 too:
Disclaimer

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been trying to get one free up I spray Gumout carb cleaner supertech carb cleaner WD 40 seafoam carbon cleaner for the last two weeks with no luck. It a 2000 K1200LT that has not work for a couple of years with only 15k on it. I guess its time to tear it down or is there something else i can try.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
I am very new to K1200 and never open the engine yet (I own the bike for only a bit more of 2 weeks).
However, I am very experienced on the K100.
About 10 years ago, I wrote a small page about sprag clutch principle for the K75/K100. I would believe that the K1200 has the same unit.
People have had a very good success running diesel detergent oil to clean the sprag.
If the clutch has the same configuration as the old Ks, there is another solution to fix it without opening the engine.
You will have to open the crankcase cover (easy) to access a very small lubricating hole on the ring of the sprag clutch. Then, you can spray some cleaner or WD40. I attach a picture to this post to help you locate the lubricating hole.

See on my page here: starter_clutch

The K100-forum tech page may have other good articles that could apply to the K1200 too:
Disclaimer

That is exactly like the K1200LT unit and the same technique to fix it. Good article and great shots of the crankcase.

Maybe a bit of heat is needed for K1200LTSC to help the cleaning process.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
28 Posts
Crazy Frog, I echo John on this, this is a very good article. I really like this forum, you all are great and I learn something new about my LT each time I log on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sure of mileage, it's used ebay engine I helped him swap out a while back. But oil changes are regular.
Haven't heard from him today, yet.

See you guys tmrw evening, some of ya anyway. I'll be the one on red gt, the nicest bike in the parking lot of course!

Update: it's back on the road after using a punch to free the clogged up sprague so it will actuate again.
Said, it still has build up that will need scraping out, said the sprays won't eliminate all the crap inside the unit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tried everthing karb cleaner, carbon cleaner, free all, kano aerokoil, penetrant oil, heat, diesel oil, the last 7 weeks no luck. I guess it time to tear it down when I get time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I finally had the chance to start the tear down. As I started I decided to drop the whole drive train. It sure looks like it will make it easy to work on it on a table instead of doing the work while its still in the bike. Now I have to wait to I get extra time to pull the sprag clutch and check to see what else I need to change while I have it apart.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts