BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facts : early '99 with 35k miles; has new Spiegler lines, new front pads, and fluid R&R last year. Stops on a dime, but .........

Issue : after setting a few moments, the front lever must be pulled in 2 or 3 times before strong braking takes effect. Then she stops like normal; lever stays hard, then goes loose again ( I know, sounds like another problem !) anyway, the fluids are good, no ABS lights, and no leaks. I use front brake 80% to rear 20%, while down shifting. So, any ideas ? Just live with it ?!

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Facts : early '99 with 35k miles; has new Spiegler lines, new front pads, and fluid R&R last year. Stops on a dime, but .........

Issue : after setting a few moments, the front lever must be pulled in 2 or 3 times before strong braking takes effect. Then she stops like normal; lever stays hard, then goes loose again ( I know, sounds like another problem !) anyway, the fluids are good, no ABS lights, and no leaks. I use front brake 80% to rear 20%, while down shifting. So, any ideas ? Just live with it ?!
Check your front wheel bearings and see if they have any play pushing the pads back farther than normal.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Thanks, I'll check that first thing tomorrow. Really using that service manual on this bike !
The manual is indispensable. Check the adjustment and tightening procedure for the front wheel. If it is not tightened properly or if those bearings are letting the the wheel float then it will push the pads back. 35K doesn't sound like a lot to me but there is some age there.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Air in the line?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
My first thought also.
It could be air in the line. New lines and fluid R&R last year so a fairly recent flush. That is why I recommended checking the wheel bearings first. Easy to do.

Was the handle like this immediately after the new lines or fluid flush or did this recently develop?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could be air in the line. New lines and fluid R&R last year so a fairly recent flush. That is why I recommended checking the wheel bearings first. Easy to do.

Was the handle like this immediately after the new lines or fluid flush or did this recently develop?
Wheel bearings checked good - no play. Pad position seems to be ok before, during, after squeezing lever. This only developed within last month of riding. Bike has not been stored over winter - here in DFW, I ride year round. Tks for all the info guys. Might just have to go to BMW dealer and "Bring More Wallet".

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Wheel bearings checked good - no play. Pad position seems to be ok before, during, after squeezing lever. This only developed within last month of riding. Bike has not been stored over winter - here in DFW, I ride year round. Tks for all the info guys. Might just have to go to BMW dealer and "Bring More Wallet".
Bleeding a 99 is not that difficult. Like my 2001, I just used the built in reservoirs and topped them off as I forced fluid through my new Spieglers. Bought a spare bleed screw to handle that front right bleed attachment there and the clutch but it was pretty easy.

Did you do the new lines or did a shop do it? You might already be familiar with the bleed process :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts