BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't pulled them yet but I have 60K on the Splitfire's and it may be time for some new plugs.
I see that the Splitfire TP416D plugs are now obsolete and have been replaced by Diamondfire E3.36.
Has anyone tried them?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Not yet. I had Splitfire on my last LT and loved them. Will be trying the E3.36 replacements on the Purple People eater before the summer is over. Nice thing is I can order them into the nearest O'Reillys Auto Parts.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve_R said:
Not yet. I had Splitfire on my last LT and loved them. Will be trying the E3.36 replacements on the Purple People eater before the summer is over. Nice thing is I can order them into the nearest O'Reillys Auto Parts.
Looks like I'll be the beta guy. Thanks for the O'Reilly's heads up. I'll be at my place in TN in a couple of week and pick some up. None close here in FL.
If I get the LD miles on them like the Splitfires, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
mjac said:
So, you haven't tried them.
No, I don't have an LT to try them on now. But if I did, since I could no longer get the platinum tipped Splitfires, I would use the iridium plugs that are available. No way I would use a plain steel electrode plug of any type these days. Why spend more money on a plain steel plug, that has no reason to work better than the stock LT plug, and for with no better life expectancy.

Now if someone can show me where I missed that the E3 plugs have any precious metal in the electrode tips, then maybe. But their website does not say anything about that, so the assumption is that their electrodes are nothing special, just a rather strange configuration of the ground electrode, which with that one sided opening leads one to believe they would have to be "indexed" to get uniform performance cylinder to cylinder. Indexing can help on any plug when one is looking for the absolute best ignition performance, but these plugs seem to have heavy "masking" except for the side where the opening in the electrode is. I can think of no reason I would ever want to try them.

·
Registered
550 Posts
There is a gentlemen that sells the splitfires on Ebay. I bought 8 this Spring.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Any advice on gapping the plugs, I've always just put in the stock ones and they have been fine. I'll need new coming up soon so I figure the Iridiums will be worth a little extra.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
treed said:
Any advice on gapping the plugs, I've always just put in the stock ones and they have been fine. I'll need new coming up soon so I figure the Iridiums will be worth a little extra.
I would not try to gap them. I have used NGK IR for about 3 or 4 years in all kinds of stuff car and bike and never tried to gap them. You need to see the NGK Iridium to see what I am saying.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Anybody know the difference between the SF416D and the TP416D?? The SF series was the one recommended to me.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Yep, TP stood for tip platinum plated.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I was right the first time triple plated platinum tip. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts