BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there encountered the problem of OEM rubber hand grips splitting? I've talked to the local BMW dealership and they tell me that in order to change the grip(s) you also have to change out the wiring harness for the heated grip as well. I thought I'd tap the vast knowledge you gentlemen possess and see what other ideas, workarounds are out there. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's been reported that BMW part # 32 72 2 332 619 is the # for a left hand grip. The left hand grip is supposed to work on both right and left sides. As I remember (?) they were about $12.00 each. If the originals are _carefully_ removed, the new ones can be slipped on with grip cement. This info should be found in the archives if you search long enough, although I still have a tough time with that section of the board. d.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just cut the old rubber from the grips with care not to cut the heating elements and install new rubber. No problem. Do search on grips and you will find something. The grip part #'s are out there in the archives.

·
Registered
367 Posts
3 possible fixes.
1) Replace the entire thing as dealer suggested. Very expensive and the grip will just split again. Would only do this if the heating element is broken on one or the other.
If the heating elements are still working:
2) Tape using tennis handle tape. Works really well and provides for a larger more comfortable grip. Replace annually or as needed.
3) Cut off the rubber part as mentioned above, being careful not to damage the heating element. Slip a replacement grip over the bar. If you buy after market ones, you'll need to buy 2 sets and use the larger right grip on both sides (if they are logo'd then the left one will be upside down). If you don't glue them, they can slide off over time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just replaced mine with BMW part # 32 72 2 332 619 is the # for a left hand grip and glued them in place using Honda Grip Cement. Took me three times to get the right grip to stay. I did not want to make a mess and also make the grip too hard to remove in the future. Third time was the charm. The grips are maybe 3/8 to 1/4 inch shorter. You really don't notice that unless you look carefully before you remove the old ones. So far a am very happy. Just did not have the money to spend on other options at this time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone, you've been a great help. Appreciate all the advise and part numbers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Take a look at 'Grip Puppies'

Scott, might be worth you taking a look at a set of grip puppies that might slide on over your original split grip, much comfier, easy to fit and cheap! Several threads on the site - the guys at California sport touring are excelent, even posted over here to UK for me - I love them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts