BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been plugging away on replacing the leaking transmission seal in my 2001 LT. I see the recommended spline lube is Optimoly MP3. When I did a search on that lube, I ran into a lot of dead ends. Is than something I need to buy from the dealer, or are there alternatives that will work. Thanks in advance to all.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
I use a very light coating of Honda Molly 60 and synthetic brake caliper lube (adds stickiness). Don't lube this like you would an airhead - it does not need it. Put the lube only in the input shaft and not on the disc. If you lube the disc the shaft will push it out where it can get on the friction material.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
If you are looking for the PN for the optimol TA paste, it is 18 21 9 062 599 and is made by Castrol. It is a high temp lub/anti seize paste that helps to prevent fretting because these parts do not move much on themselves. There are other things such as John mentioned but if you are a stickler, you can order it if you want. Just don't use a molly based grease.

I ordered mine from MAX BMW. $30.98 for a 100 gram tube. Enough for 20+ clutch jobs.

Reactions: orion_nomad

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Just curious Gordon, why no Molly?
John, what I meant was don't go buy a tube of molly wheel grease and think you have the right stuff. It is in no way comparable. Spline lubes are an EP anti seize compound because there is very little movement but extreme pressures that tend to fret. Going to stop there before I get in over my head. Molly is fine, just not molly wheel bearing grease is what I meant to say. Honda Molly 60 is used by many but I haven't seen it to compare with what I squeezed out of the Optimol tube. That stuff is silver in color and does look like an anti seize paste.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise. Looks like another trip to my local BMW dealer. I need a tire put on my back wheel so I'll do that tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Here are a couple pics of what you want to prevent by using a proper spline lube. These are out of a car and used without permission from a Toyota MR2 forum but i am not making any money off these so who cares ;) It is also a public forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
just to let know honda is stoping making there molly 60 if you find it buy it all. better than the bmw stuff. i use it in all the splines in my lt
>:)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
True but it has been replaced with Molycoat 77 by Dow Corning. Contains >=50% < 70 % molly according to the MSDS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts