BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
awhile back i remember someone here who was able to spin their LT 180deg. while it was on the center stand,,i did do a search but couldnt find the thread about doing that ,,any way, i got a nice 3/16s 12x12 stainless steel plate, i put the center stand on it , but the lifting leg of the stand digs into my garage floor if i try to spin the bike,,any ideas ?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
lenny said:
awhile back i remember someone here who was able to spin their LT 180deg. while it was on the center stand,,i did do a search but couldnt find the thread about doing that ,,any way, i got a nice 3/16s 12x12 stainless steel plate, i put the center stand on it , but the lifting leg of the stand digs into my garage floor if i try to spin the bike,,any ideas ?
Bigger plate, maybe??

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
katnapinn said:
HERE you go
THIS is a video of how it works
thanks ...but thats not what i was refering to,,,,some one here was able to just spin the bike around on their garage floor while on the center stand

·
Registered
67 Posts
I do remember hearing something about this. Not sure where to find it at though. I think it involved pushing down on the rear of the bike (so both wheels are off of the gound) while spinning it around?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Not sure about the LT, but I can assure that I was able to turn my 1974 Norton 850 Commando around completely while on the center stand using only a light finger pressure! Of course that was while the twin was idling. You'd be amazed at what just a little vibration can do. That Bike would go straight sideways if I wished, as long as that engine was purring!

Memories!

John

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
There are at least a couple of turntable products out there that let you park a bike on it and then turn it around, so you can ride out the way you came into a garage. Also, some guys have made their own "lazy Susan"-type device, using a heavy-duty round bearing and a piece of steel.

That said, if you are referring to literally spinning the LT just on its center stand, wouldn't that put a lot of stress on the stand -- stress for which it was not designed?

Google has several lazy-Susan type products, and there are some home-grown versions discussed on this site.

Here is a product I looked at yesterday. $1175+shipping!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
here's one company that has some: http://www.turnabike.com/
Also I remember a BMW MOA article about a guy who built his own about 10 years ago. He actually used a BMW sign as the turntable. Don't know if the MOA would have a reprint or not. I've moved so many times I wasn't able to keep my old mags or I'd copy it and send it to you.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lenny said:
well i did find a couple of ideas on google,,,one using furniture sliders and a peice of plastic..think ill try that first...the other was building a spinner using a lazy susan and a plank

·
Old Dawg
3,282 Posts
If you have a smooth concrete surface you can spin your LT on the center stand super easily! Just push down on the rear case rack a bit to get the front tire off the ground and spin. I do it all the time. For a lot less then buying something I will take a video for you:D .

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
scottydawg said:
If you have a smooth concrete surface you can spin your LT on the center stand super easily! Just push down on the rear case rack a bit to get the front tire off the ground and spin. I do it all the time. For a lot less then buying something I will take a video for you:D .
how do you keep the center stand lifting leg from digging into the floor? im thinking of grinding some off so it doesnt drag on the floor

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lenny said:
well i did find a couple of ideas on google,,,one using furniture sliders and a peice of plastic..think ill try that first...the other was building a spinner using a lazy susan and a plank
i bought furniture sliders,i had to ride over some 1/2 in. ply wood to get a little more clearance ,,but i was able to spin the bike in the garage,,not really sure how long the sliders wil last,they are not made for 850lbs

·
Registered
129 Posts
I pull into a tight area, put the bike on the center stand and then just gently rotate the bike on the center stand. I am not sure how likely to pop off the center stand it is. I have not tried going all the way around, I guess this would be possible though. I have bought some heavy duty casters that I will use to weld up a center stand dolly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have been using the TurnaBike turntable since I bought my 07 new. My driveway has a slope right out the door and I didn't want to back it down. I works great. I use the power center stand to stand it up every night on the turntable and just walk it around.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Buchnerb said:
I have been using the TurnaBike turntable since I bought my 07 new. My driveway has a slope right out the door and I didn't want to back it down. I works great. I use the power center stand to stand it up every night on the turntable and just walk it around.

Bruce
Bruce, what technique do you use to get the LT center stand positioned correctly? I assume you ride into the garage, stop on top of the Turnabike, and then deploy the center stand.

·
Old Dawg
3,282 Posts
lenny said:
how do you keep the center stand lifting leg from digging into the floor? im thinking of grinding some off so it doesnt drag on the floor
It has no effect at all on spinning the bike. I will take a video tonight and post it. Have you tried spinning it from the tail rack yet? It is so easy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I spin mine all the time. Just pivot the bike so both tires are off the ground...Yeah it makes a funny noise every once in a while when the cement floor is not smooth...give it a try..soon you will love the manoeuvrings. My BMW dealer showed me how to do it when I bought my new 09 LT.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hschisler said:
Bruce, what technique do you use to get the LT center stand positioned correctly? I assume you ride into the garage, stop on top of the Turnabike, and then deploy the center stand.

Look down. You quickly get a feel for where you need to be. If you miss just pop it down, reposition and raise it again. There is plenty of room on the turntable and it is very forgiving if you are off center. I usually start with the turntable a little behind the foot pegs.

Bruce

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
as stated before ,my center stand lifting arm would scrape the floor as i tried to spin the bike,so i used my grinder on it and i have enough clearance now to put the center stand on a peice of stainless steel and spin everything around,,,works great

1 - 20 of 25 Posts