BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tapered bearing end of my 1999 K1200lt spins and wiggles slightly inside the crown gear. Is this normal? Or is it supposed to be pressed in and fixed solidly?

Indication of a problem was that the rear wheel could be wiggled while the bike was on the center stand. Bearings appeared in near perfect condition.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
The Tapered bearing end of my 1999 K1200lt spins and wiggles slightly inside the crown gear. Is this normal? Or is it supposed to be pressed in and fixed solidly?

Indication of a problem was that the rear wheel could be wiggled while the bike was on the center stand. Bearings appeared in near perfect condition.

Thanks
No, it should not spin or wiggle. this is a know failure and has been discussed before.
If I understand you correctly, the aluminum trunnion which carries the tapered roller bearing is spinning in the carbon steel crown gear, correct?
There is another known problem where the tapered roller bearing spins on it's seat, but it doesn't sound like that which you are describing.

The spinning aluminum trunnion in the crown gear is one of the more rare failure modes of the K1200LT final drive. If I recall correctly, there have been posts of repair methods.
I'll do a search and see if I can find the old threads.
Check with Dave Selvig aka Saddleman on this site. If anyone can fix it, he can.

Here's an old thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/101113-well-add-me-fd-failure-list.html
Scroll down to post number 9 to see Dave's pics and a description of his repair.

It is this particular failure that causes gear lube to come out the lug bolt holes when the rear wheel is removed in some cases. Also, similar to the spinning tapered roller bearing, the gear lube can turn very dark from aluminum particles suspended in the lube.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You nailed it CharlieVT, thanks. I "lucked out" with a used FD out of a wreck and got her flying again. I may try the loctite fix, on my original FD and keep it around as a spare.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
You nailed it CharlieVT, thanks. I "lucked out" with a used FD out of a wreck and got her flying again. I may try the loctite fix, on my original FD and keep it around as a spare.

Cheers.
Worth it to send it to Saddlman. Then you know you have a final drive you can count on.

Robert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts