BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I should probably post this under Farkles, Gadgets, and Gear but thought I might get more exposure doing it here. Anyway, here's my question. Have any of you electronic gurus out there successfully interfaced a GARMIN SPIII with the latest Voice Com System on an '05LT? I called Chicago BMW to order a complete system for my new to me '05 and the parts guy that I talked to told me that the only way to interface an SPIII with the VOICE System is to plug it into the AUX audio input. After plugging it into that input he tells me that the other audio functions will be disabled as long as the GARMIN is plugged in. Anyone out there know if that's the case, or better yet, is there a work a round? Don't mind spending the $ for the COM System but don't want to spring for a new GPS.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
I know I should probably post this under Farkles, Gadgets, and Gear but thought I might get more exposure doing it here. Anyway, here's my question. Have any of you electronic gurus out there successfully interfaced a GARMIN SPIII with the latest Voice Com System on an '05LT? I called Chicago BMW to order a complete system for my new to me '05 and the parts guy that I talked to told me that the only way to interface an SPIII with the VOICE System is to plug it into the AUX audio input. After plugging it into that input he tells me that the other audio functions will be disabled as long as the GARMIN is plugged in. Anyone out there know if that's the case, or better yet, is there a work a round? Don't mind spending the $ for the COM System but don't want to spring for a new GPS.
The dealer does not know what he is talking about. I just integrated Garmin Quest into my Voice II system and the sound works great.

There is a two wire connector on the VII that is plug and play for the BMW NavigatorII system. All you have to do is cut off this connector and run the audio out from you SPIII into it. My Quest uses a mini plug out so I just cut a male to male stereo mini cord in half and spliced the wires together. These audio cables have a twisted strand in the middle that you will have to twist together on both ends after you make you splices. You can either solder them but I didn't. I just made sure I wrapped both splices well with electrical tape and then twisted the two sides of strand together and wrapped everything nice and tight with electrical tape.

The same process works for a radar detector.

This input takes priority over all driver music and intercom. The passenger does not hear the GPS and her music does not cut out.

Work flawlessly with no ground hum.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response hammick,

I guess if it isn't truly Plug n Play the Dealers aren't interested in making modifications to the wiring harness. With your suggested modification it sounds like the Voice II will do everything that I want it to.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
I know I should probably post this under Farkles, Gadgets, and Gear but thought I might get more exposure doing it here. Anyway, here's my question. Have any of you electronic gurus out there successfully interfaced a GARMIN SPIII with the latest Voice Com System on an '05LT? I called Chicago BMW to order a .
Lynn, why chicago BMW?

because of the 20% off for online orders?

Check around more, max bmw (http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/) is less expensive than chicago bmw on factory parts, i just spent a bunch of time checking prices for a friend's gs on a ton of parts, chicago was higher even after the discount price.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts