BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In view of a recent post about BMW claiming SSbraided lines are verboten or at least not recomended by BMW,

How many people who have replaced thier lines with SS are happy and has anyone noticed any adverse affects with the ABS?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a 2000 K1200LT and put Spieglers on last year. The only problem I had was with the install. One of the lines had the wrong angle on it. I had to send it back. Of course I was doing the job a someone elses shop and had to reinstall the one rubber hose until the Spiegler came back. No adverse effects at all. Well worth the money in my mind. YMMV.

Sean

·
Registered
989 Posts
MountianMama said:
In view of a recent post about BMW claiming SSbraided lines are verboten or at least not recomended by BMW,
How many people who have replaced thier lines with SS are happy and has anyone noticed any adverse affects with the ABS?
Hi, Eric,

I am the one who posted the BMW Customer Service Note, advising against braided lines. I translated the actual German document provided to me by a forum member, Hilton.

If you read the translation, you will notice that the problem is not any ill effect during normal operation, but rather possible issues with residual braking or in ABS activation.

Still, early last season, I have installed Spiegler lines on my own LT. I am trading possible ABS issues (low likelihood in my understanding) versus high likelihood of a burst deteriorated rubber line.

BTW, I had similar experience to the one described by ipokebadgers. The rear caliper line had wrong banjo angle; I sent it back to Spiegler and they replaced the banjo.

So far, so good. My riding season will restart in a few weeks. In light of the new information I will experiment with activating ABS to see if there are any problems.

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
I replaced my burst BMW lines with Speiglers a year ago no issues - however I cannot say that my ABS has been exercised.

I believe the quality of the product to be excellent. However I believe the consistency between what they supply to the K1200 group is "poor". What I mean is the banjo fittings are not like the other BMWs I have inspected. They make the stiff hosing go at a very odd angle on the rear brake line. I compared my lines with other K1200's and many of them are different - different bend angles and different lengths - poor quality control in my opinion. In fact I traveled up to the factory in Dayton and picked them up.

I however have not complained. I have taken a lot of pictures of them and will return sometime this summer to talk to them about this!! Not sure they will hear me however.

As for your initial concern I have never heard of anyone in the past 8 years, on this form at least, that has had an issue . . .

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I put them on the 2000 I had. They worked. I could not tell the difference in the braking. I don't remember activating the ABS. I haven't checked to see if Spieglers are available for the 2005. If SS lines are not a good idea with the integrated brakes, what options are there besides OEM lines from the dealer? Has anyone changed the lines to Spieglers?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Love the Spieglers. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it all over again. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I replaced the stock lines on my 00 many years ago. The brake pedal seemed to become nice and firm vrs the leaking rubber lines.

Best from Maine
Bob

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
katnapinn said:
I have install them on 4 different bike including mine & WE ALL LOVE THEM.
and he gave me telephone support......no problems, except for the install....... :dance:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Why would there be a problem with the SS lines??

I have used them for YEARS on my R100RS, installed them two years ago on my GS (the ABS on it HAS been exercised with them installed) and just received a set for the LT going on with the major service later this month??

Most curious??? :wave :bmw:

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Not exactly for motorcycles but having recently installed manufacturing equipment in Canada and in my application requiring both CES and TUV approvals - I can tell you that any change in the design of a machine that was formerly approved and carried the proper stamping by these authorities is not allowed and must be vigorously (needs to maintain a proactive position) opposed by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

As any change that alters the design could in effect alter the performance and more importantly the safety of the equipment - this would in effect place the operator at risk and those near by. Any change in the design elements would most likely require that the original equipment manufacture would need to apply for a recertification of their equipment. Recertification costs money, takes time and complicates the original design since a new design my require a recall if there was for some reason a major reduction of risk over the previous design.

It is interesting to note in Canada that within the past few years many of the approval boards have been partially privatized by reduced Canadian Federal funding and thus in order to survive and protect the public these institutions seek to secure funding from those that manufacture - very tough approval process that requires lots of checks. We had to fly from Canada inspectors all over the US on many occasions to check equipment in process and prior to shipment. Then once again inspected at the border, then inspected again in the factory prior to start up and then inspected again during start up. The process is very layered, slow and you do not always wind up with the safest product rather the one that can get through the approval process with the least cost and risk.

No doubt about it brake lines made of different materials of construction and having different fluid dynamics (bladder effects - shock absorbing capabilities - being part if an integrated system) when working in an type of ABS systems as designed on the K1200LT's could be cause for a safety concern and thus a regulatory concern. What we are not privileged to see are the actual facts, dynamic test reports, and studies around this issue - just a letter fro BMW that says "Don't do it". . .

It is important to note that many newer BMW models are using stainless steel over braid hosing but this is on completely different braking systems - not a comparable example!!

Rant off . . .

Oh by the way I use Speiglers!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts