BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to stock up parts etc. for winter time projects on the LT. Are Speigler brake lines still the product of choice amongst the group? Is the best source directly from Speigler or from one of their listed dealers?

Or do Y-all like the OEM parts?

I'll look forward to comments/suggestions. TIA

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
There are many sources for der Spiegler.. I LOVE them, and would never go back to OEM (which need replacement every 4-5 years, besides lesser performance).

I ordered them directly from the manufacturer (about 3 years ago) and great service. Paid about $260 total, with shipping. www.spieglerusa.com

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
$260 for brake lines seems like a lot of money until you realize that

a.) you receive 6 stainless steel lines guaranteed for as long as you own your bike and
b.) the BMW price for the 6 hoses exceeds $395. :wow:

Loren

hallzee said:
There are many sources for der Spiegler.. I LOVE them, and would never go back to OEM (which need replacement every 4-5 years, besides lesser performance).

I ordered them directly from the manufacturer (about 3 years ago) and great service. Paid about $260 total, with shipping. www.spieglerusa.com

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Some have posted having this done (stainless) at local brakes shops, using the original fittings for $100 or less. I haven't found one yet. Not cheap, just frugal. Well, maybe a little. :p

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Very happy with my Speiglers.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Re: Spiegler Brake Lines

I have a few issues with Spiegler specifically the angles they bend and use for the back brake line on both ends. Great product but a few issues . . . regarding workmanship and for this price if should fit and conform perfectly . . period!!

The line on the rear drive shoots the line out far away from the original routing line and then you need to pull it back towards the front of the bike and the line does not follow very well the path / contour of the original line and the holders.

The one under the seat angles and and starts running at the tire and requires an odd bend to get is directed towards the back of the bike!!

As for the fronts not as much a problem but in my opinion could be a better routing fit.

They customize these and should take the time to do it right . . .

My 2 cents . . .

·
Registered
519 Posts
Re: Spiegler Brake Lines

dfinazzo said:
I have a few issues with Spiegler specifically the angles they bend and use for the back brake line on both ends. Great product but a few issues . . . regarding workmanship and for this price if should fit and conform perfectly . . period!!

The line on the rear drive shoots the line out far away from the original routing line and then you need to pull it back towards the front of the bike and the line does not follow very well the path / contour of the original line and the holders.

The one under the seat angles and and starts running at the tire and requires an odd bend to get is directed towards the back of the bike!!

As for the fronts not as much a problem but in my opinion could be a better routing fit.

They customize these and should take the time to do it right . . .

My 2 cents . . .
I was looking at ordering a set for my LT for some winter work. have you sent these pictures and suggestions to Spiegler, to see what they say or might correct?

Just talking outloud!!
Bowdon

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I am not much of a complainer but after posting this I just now sent it along to Spiegler Sales group

I live in Cincinnati and drove up to Dayton last year and picked them up from the factory.

I just offered to drive up and have them inspect first hand if they believe these are the proper lines with
proper fittings and I installed correctly - I believe in having ones worked checked - ask me why I know!!

I will seek some answers from them as I have inspected other K1200LTs during several CCR's and
other gatherings and it appears that there are differences - lets hope quality control is in control!!

Here is a picture of what you get!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
+5 on Spiegler.....very happy with the firm feeling I sense when breaking and am a huge fan of their lifetime warranty!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. Excellent photos Dan, I'll be interested to hear about your visit to Speigler.

Thanks again all,

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Excellent photos Dan, I'll be interested to hear about your visit to Speigler.
+1 :corn:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more question, would Y-all replace the clutch line? My thought is, it aint broke, don't fix it! What do Y-all think?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Boatzo said:
One more question, would Y-all replace the clutch line? My thought is, it aint broke, don't fix it! What do Y-all think?
I did not replace the clutch line...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
The clutch line is not under as much pressure but it is prone to corrosion. Best to inspect and then decide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
dfin,
I'm with you! I want stuff to fit right and they sure don't fit the contour of the bike. I put stainless lines on my ST1100 and they had a bend, contour issue as well. They weren't speigler though! I made it work as you did, but don't like it. Please let us know what you find out! I want to get them for the LT.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Well Spiegler was quick with a response - first thing this morning.
Partially addressed the issue and even offered to make it right for $25 . . . hmmm.
Customer service - not!!

Anyway here is their response

Daniel,

We did have a fitting change on the line, but I cannot tell you when that
was. However your line does have the current fittings on it.

The fitting that is on the back used to be a little shorter, but the design
was changed. I do not know why as it was changed long before I came to work
here.

On the back portion of the line that goes to the caliper, there is really no
other way to route that line without having a special fitting made.

As for the front portion of the line, if you would like to change out the
fitting out to a different style of fitting we can do that and it would be
$25 charge.

I can tell you that we have sold hundreds of these line kits and this is the
first I have heard of anyone having a problem.

If you would like to stop by I would be more than happy to take a look at
it. I can't say that we will make any changes to the line but it never
hurts to take a look.

Robert Jensen
SPIEGLER PERFORMANCE PARTS
1699 Thomas Paine Parkway
Dayton, OH 45459
Phone 937-291-1735
Cell 701-261-0758
Fax 937-291-2368
Visit us a www.spieglerusa.com[/I]

Guess just because they have sold hundreds does not make it right in my mind.
I believe the picture tells the story and I asked if they felt it was right - no direct answer.
I have started looking on the internet for brake line suppliers who can manufacturer a line
that is more conformal. From what I see Spiegler buys colored hoses and fittings and
they own machinery to join the two. Not sure why the proper fittings cannot be sourced!!!

As for the $25 new fitting it looks like I need to pull my hose and travel there and return
with the repaired part. What to do . . . :confused:

·
Registered
519 Posts
dfinazzo said:
Well Spiegler was quick with a response - first thing this morning.
Partially addressed the issue and even offered to make it right for $25 . . . hmmm.
Customer service - not!!

Anyway here is their response

Daniel,

We did have a fitting change on the line, but I cannot tell you when that
was. However your line does have the current fittings on it.

The fitting that is on the back used to be a little shorter, but the design
was changed. I do not know why as it was changed long before I came to work
here.

On the back portion of the line that goes to the caliper, there is really no
other way to route that line without having a special fitting made.

As for the front portion of the line, if you would like to change out the
fitting out to a different style of fitting we can do that and it would be
$25 charge.

I can tell you that we have sold hundreds of these line kits and this is the
first I have heard of anyone having a problem.

If you would like to stop by I would be more than happy to take a look at
it. I can't say that we will make any changes to the line but it never
hurts to take a look.

Robert Jensen
SPIEGLER PERFORMANCE PARTS
1699 Thomas Paine Parkway
Dayton, OH 45459
Phone 937-291-1735
Cell 701-261-0758
Fax 937-291-2368
Visit us a www.spieglerusa.com[/I]

Guess just because they have sold hundreds does not make it right in my mind.
I believe the picture tells the story and I asked if they felt it was right - no direct answer.
I have started looking on the internet for brake line suppliers who can manufacturer a line
that is more conformal. From what I see Spiegler buys colored hoses and fittings and
they own machinery to join the two. Not sure why the proper fittings cannot be sourced!!!

As for the $25 new fitting it looks like I need to pull my hose and travel there and return
with the repaired part. What to do . . . :confused:

Dan;

What was the final outcome with Spiegler??

I was looking at getting the set for my 05 and doing it over the winter.
Keep us informed if you are now satisfied and what was done to the bango's.

Thanks in advance,

Bowdon

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The last custom brake line I had made for my LT cost me $20.00

Just go to a "Hydraulic Supply" shop.. There's at least one in every big town.. They can make an exact replacement from the old lines...

The only downfall to this is you should pull all the lines.. Take them to the shop and get the replacements made, then re-assemble....

Any good shop can make an exact duplicate of your line including the angles that the connectors are at....

I'm sure Spiegler is great... But you can only do so much when you mass produce...

John

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Well I got too tied up in riding and rallying and never followed up with Spiegler.

I am selling the 2002 LT and bought a new 2009 K1200LT so maybe I will once again
visit the shop and review with them their fittings - using my pictures to see if they have banjo fitting that offers better routing.

Just really did not care for their answer - I am new here, we made a bunch of sets how could we be wrong, we have never had a complaint!

Well I would need to see their quality control procedures - how could I know if my set was the same as the others??

Besides I do not care how many sets they have made the routing could be better!!

My 2 cents worth!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts