BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the bike to come home from work tonight, around midnight, was a little hard to start, got it started but the needle on the speedo flipped all the way around and stayed there. Did not move the bike at all, I cut the bike off once warm and restarted hoping it would return to its rightfull place but no luck. It did not fix itself on the way home either, now no speedo. any ideas on how to fix?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a Ford Mustang that has had it's needles all go all the way to the top but they came back down in a couple of seconds a couple of different times.
Since yours didn't come back I would think something is needing to be fixed. Before getting too worried I would disconnect the battery for a while. That seems to fix several other things the LT's have go wrong.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
02 ltc. I removed the battery for about an hour and reconected, no luck, looks like a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Mike-

I just left a message with Dr. "Jack" and told him his patient needed a visit! I'm around if he can see you and we can delve into it together. I've been into the speedo cluster area doing my HID instal years ago....and surely there's a way to get it unstuck by some means!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'm researching it....

Mike,

I am researching this in the manual and will let you know if I find anything out. One question -- does anyone know right off hand which year BMW changed to the fully electronic gauges?

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
As many times as you guys have had the swing arm off, I would take a close look at the wire harness in that area. Possibly a short to ground or open on part of this circuit may cause a pegged speedo. Possibly a pulled wire from one end or the other of the harness could be the culprit also.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
MAN, that hurts....

bowlesj said:
As many times as you guys have had the swing arm off, I would take a close look at the wire harness in that area. Possibly a short to ground or open on part of this circuit may cause a pegged speedo. Possibly a pulled wire from one end or the other of the harness could be the culprit also.

We sure did have to take that sucker apart several times.... :eek: but, you know, we got so good at it that we never even had to touch one wire. But anyway, it sure is worth looking. man, that hurts John! :eek:

(Whispering to Mike - "We didn't have to touch any wires did we?")

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
checked all the wiring, seems ok, went to the dealer, they are closed till 2 jan. speedo does not move at all due to it being stuck on the back side of the stop in the dash

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just after I got my bike with 17k miles on it, the speedo started acting up. It's also an '02. When sitting idling at a stop, the needle used to jump to high speeds and back intermittently.
Luckily it was still under warranty and after looking at it for about 2 weeks the dealer replaced the instrument cluster :eek: and placed a sticker on the frame to say the odo was 17K shy.
I know this is not what you want to hear, but....

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
sheldan2 said:
checked all the wiring, seems ok, went to the dealer, they are closed till 2 jan. speedo does not move at all due to it being stuck on the back side of the stop in the dash
You didn't happen to try the cruise control on your trip to the dealer, didja? I'm wondering if the cruise control is gonna work with the speedo needle locked hard over to the right??

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Dick said:
You didn't happen to try the cruise control on your trip to the dealer, didja? I'm wondering if the cruise control is gonna work with the speedo needle locked hard over to the right??
It may work fine, depending on which end the faliure is. If it is just the speedo, the cruise should remain unaffected. If the "sender" or VSS is bad it may well mess up the cruise depending which channel the cruise uses on the VSS.
Not real sure how the LT's operate the speedo & related items but it should be off of some kind of sender or Vehicle Speed Sensor which is generally a 2 channel sensor. One channel runs the speedo and the other goes to the ECM. Which one the cruise uses??

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Can you post a pic?

sheldan2 said:

Mike,

Is there anyway you can post a close-up picture of the needle and its position? Mine is the old style, but I have seen speedos "jump" the pin (stop) from time to time and once it's on the other side, it cannot return to normal on its own.

It would be worthwhile to disassemble the cluster, physically move the needle back to the proper side of the stop and see if it works. It probably will. As to WHY they will sometimes go past the proper point...could be "slop" (wear), electrical malfunction, etc.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cruise works fine, so not that end of the spectrum, just have to figure out how fast 4500 rpm is, state troopers were giving me an evil eye on the way to the dealership, figured I had one chance of getting away with speeding a bit with the speedo broken

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
The Fix????

sheldan2 said:
here is a pic of speedo

Thanks for the pics Mike. We will address this problem at my place on Saturday Morning and try THE fix that I believe will work and save us at least 3-4 hours of labor. ;)

If it works, you can believe we will post pics and a description of the fix. If it doesn't....well, let's not even go there...it's going to work! See 'ya Saturday AM! Let me know what time.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Odd. In one picture the needle is about 6 O'clock and the other 2 it is against the peg at zero. If it were running in the last 2 I would say that the needle had somehow dropped below the peg and got stuck.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
ahh...You're getting warm!!!

Morley said:
Odd. In one picture the needle is about 6 O'clock and the other 2 it is against the peg at zero. If it were running in the last 2 I would say that the needle had somehow dropped below the peg and got stuck.

Very good Grasshopper!

Great Observation. I was actually going to post and ask people to look closely at the pics and try to suggest a solution. I talked through the pics over the phone with Mike and here's another clue:

The first picture is the speedo when the bike and ignition are turned OFF. Needle drops slowly to approx. a 6 o'clock position.

The second and third pics are with ignition ON.
Needle rises to and then hits the peg/stop. It stays there and upon acceleration stays tight to the underside of the peg.

It is my belief that if we can get the needle back on the correct side of the peg, it will work properly. (Of course, I have inside information on how it got on the wrong side) :D

Now...and especially you JOE...HERE'S THE CHALLENGE: How could one get the needle back on the correct side of the peg w/o dissasembling the whole front end??????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts