BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped out my failed rear drive for a spare I have. Now the speedometer doesn't work. I checked the gap at the sensor ring. It's within range. I have clipped most of the tie-wraps holding the cable and flexed the wire-nothing.
This is on a '03 LT.

Any suggestions?

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
messenger13 said:
What year LT did the spare drive come from?
It's the original drive that came on the bike. I swapped them out a year ago and now the replacement failed and i went back with the original that was rebuilt early this year.

dan

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cccpastorjack said:
Dan,

Have you gotten this problem diagnosed and corrected yet?
Nope, no change. I will probably take it to the dealer tomorrow and hook it up to the Moditec.

dan

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Clem said:
On the same line I have a 99 LT and my speedo says I'm going about 10 miles faster than I am, any ideas?
That's not "on the same line" at all. That is totally normal. And according to govenment regulations, totally acceptable. There is a speedometer correction mod. Use the search. It's a fun one. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clem said:
On the same line I have a 99 LT and my speedo says I'm going about 10 miles faster than I am, any ideas?
Go to Hall of Wisdom,common issues,4th subject,read on

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
You can also buy the YellowBox from our friends Down Under, Black Robotics. They claim that it not only corrects your speedo, but your odometer as well. Seems to be a simple enough install, and correcting the odometer may save you from getting shorted on your warranty coverage.

Of course, there may be other ramifications that I am not aware of, and I will leave it to our fellow members to chime in with any other important info.

BTW, I found out about this device through a thread here on BMWLT.com, and a search may yield you some additional info as well.

Clem said:

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
deputy5211 said:
You can also buy the YellowBox from our friends Down Under, Black Robotics. They claim that it not only corrects your speedo, but your odometer as well. Seems to be a simple enough install, and correcting the odometer may save you from getting shorted on your warranty coverage.

Of course, there may be other ramifications that I am not aware of, and I will leave it to our fellow members to chime in with any other important info.

BTW, I found out about this device through a thread here on BMWLT.com, and a search may yield you some additional info as well.
The yellow box does not work well at all on the LT. Besides, the Odometer is not off nearly as much as the speedo, and even if the yellow box worked, it would lower the odometer much too far, making it read about 6-7% low. The speedos are off about 10% high, the odo about 3%high. The speedo correction by soldering the jumpers in place (pre-2005 models only) does not affect the odometer at all, where the yellow box affects both.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
dshealey said:
The yellow box does not work well at all on the LT. Besides, the Odometer is not off nearly as much as the speedo, and even if the yellow box worked, it would lower the odometer much too far, making it read about 6-7% low. The speedos are off about 10% high, the odo about 3%high. The speedo correction by soldering the jumpers in place (pre-2005 models only) does not affect the odometer at all, where the yellow box affects both.
Thank you for sharing your insights. Where does one find the jumpers that need to be soldered? How much of the bike do I have to take apart to get to it?

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Thank you for sharing your insights. Where does one find the jumpers that need to be soldered? How much of the bike do I have to take apart to get to it?
As was posted earlier in this thread you can find the information in our 'Technical' pulldown at the top of the page under 'Hall of Wisdom'. The part about the speedometer is here.

·
Registered
989 Posts
DanMartin said:
I just swapped out my failed rear drive for a spare I have. Now the speedometer doesn't work. I checked the gap at the sensor ring. It's within range. I have clipped most of the tie-wraps holding the cable and flexed the wire-nothing.
This is on a '03 LT.

Any suggestions?

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx
Hi, Dan: speedo is not driven by that external sensor that needs gap setting. This is for ABS. Speedometer is driven by the sensor that plugs into top of the FD case.

So, hopefully you did not break the connecting wire for the sensor. I'd still check the sensor itself: pull it out of the drive and see if there is maybe some debris sticking to it.

I noticed that it really needs to be fully worked into the final drive before tightening up. Maybe you have it still partly up and crooked by pressure of mounting screw?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rdwalker said:
Hi, Dan: speedo is not driven by that external sensor that needs gap setting. This is for ABS. Speedometer is driven by the sensor that plugs into top of the FD case.

So, hopefully you did not break the connecting wire for the sensor. I'd still check the sensor itself: pull it out of the drive and see if there is maybe some debris sticking to it.

I noticed that it really needs to be fully worked into the final drive before tightening up. Maybe you have it still partly up and crooked by pressure of mounting screw?
Nope, the '02s and later use the same sensor for speedo and ABS.They don't have the sensor you are refering to.

Dan
'03 LT

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
grifscoots said:
Deputy5211 said:
Where does one find the jumpers that need to be soldered? How much of the bike do I have to take apart to get to it?
If you're not comfy with taking the LT down, that's one you prolly should ride over to my house for.
I got some easy instructions from the good Deacon on removing the nose cone. With those plus the H.O.W. "Tupperware Paty" post, I was OK with trying that this weekend and running some new wires to the front for iPod, GPS, and Phone.

It's the speedo R/R that is a bit spooky. Also have a couple of light bulbs to replace on the speedo while it is out for soldering. So . . . I think I'll wait for the next local tech session to do the speedo fix, as it is not urgent and I don't want to hose it up my first time in. :eek:

·
Registered
989 Posts
DanMartin said:
Nope, the '02s and later use the same sensor for speedo and ABS.They don't have the sensor you are refering to.

Dan
'03 LT
Hi, Dan:

Ooops - my bad. The newest machine I have is an '01. Did not know that the design was changed since.

Anyway, discounting the above discussion about inaccuracy of the indicator, you stated that after the swap it stopped working altogether, right?

If so, presuming you did not work on anything else, the suspect items are what you touched, that is the sensor and the wires. I am guessing that you did not open or reconnect any jumpers or connectors, right?

Once the gap is confirmed, I would say that the sensor did not fail - it is enclosed and rather sturdy. It is quite likely that a wire broke in the sensor cable. I would suspect the connecting cable: it does flex, it is stressed and it is normally squeezed by a tie-wrap.

I do not recommend that (NO!), but if it happened to me, I'd figure that there is not much to loose and I'd cut open the jacket of the sensor cable. I do not know if it is just a magnetic pickup coil or a Hall sensor (maybe someone can chime in), therefore checking continuity through sensor may not work. I'd split the cable by the sensor itself and then as high up swingarm as possible and hope to find broken cable. You may just get lucky - and then fix the open jacket with electrical tape: ugly, but effective.

Any luck in the meantime?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Robert, No I did not disconnect any connectors. I have undone the cable and flexed it with the bike running,no signal. I thought maybe a blown fuse, nope.
Talked to the dealer a few days ago while getting parts for fixing the rear drive. Their only suggestion was to hook it up to the Moditec. I will take it over tomorrow.
I've been shut down for the past two days while SWMBO and I replace the carpeting in our bedroom with laminate.

dan

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Speedo Sensor = Transmission

DanMartin said:
This is on a '03 LT.

Any suggestions?

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx
The speedo sensor attaches to the right side of the transmission. The ABS sensor on the FD does not play a roll in this measurement.
This should help steer you in the correct direction.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts