BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Speedometer Jumpy

731 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jzeiler 
#1 ·
I have a '99 K1200LT and right before winter the speedometer stopped working correctly. It started jumping around at steady speeds. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem and how I might remedy it?

#5 ·
Thanks for the tip. However I checked the speed sensor wire for possible breaks but couldn’t detect any, so I decided to replace it with a new one. Now the speedo doesn’t jump, but only goes to about 25 mph. The odometer seems to still work though. Any other suggestions?

#7 ·
I was thinking the same thing, or at least to check it. As Scouter-50 said, remove the sensor and look down in from the top to see if this ring is still attached. you may need a good light and a mirror but you should be able to see if it has come loose. The attached pictures are what you are looking through and what you are looking at. This one is still attached.

Attachments

#9 ·
Look over the procedure listed here . If the ring is loose you can safely open up the drive on the bike and clean the area and loctite the ring in place, then re-assemble the drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.