BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Returning from Bike week and a few days in the Keys. Speedo doe not work until approx an hour after startup. On warn days it takes less time. Of course, cruise control does not work until speedo stabilizes and then will occasionally disconnect when hitting a bump. Any ideas???
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Guess you meant acting funky, not flunky?

Anyway, what year are you talking about? Different pick-up and displays on some year model LTs.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
afgrava said:
Returning from Bike week and a few days in the Keys. Speedo doe not work until approx an hour after startup. On warn days it takes less time. Of course, cruise control does not work until speedo stabilizes and then will occasionally disconnect when hitting a bump. Any ideas???
Thanks.
Howdy, Angelo. Click here and read the post by David Shealey. Your bike's symptoms sound just like what David experienced back in te day! Good luck with the find and the fix - hope it turns out to be the solution. Best always.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
They also wear through behind the right side bag where the speedo wiring is zipped to the frame, depending on the model year LT you have.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Thanks Dick. Missed George somewhere in Daytona.
My problems have increased considerably. I am stuck in Jacksonville with a blown clutch and cracked case. The JAX BMW dealer Victory Motorcycles have been helpful and are doing their best to get me on the road. Unfortunately being a weekend and ordering parts from BMW is a problem. I'll be here a few days. I'm stuck in a motel. I have internet problems so I may be unable to keep in touch. Connections are working well now.
By the way, my bike is a 2000 KLT with a Hannigan sidecar with the funky or flunky speedo. Whatever. Makes it fun to work on.

Ang

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
afgrava said:
Thanks all. Thanks Dick. Missed George somewhere in Daytona.
My problems have increased considerably. I am stuck in Jacksonville with a blown clutch and cracked case. The JAX BMW dealer Victory Motorcycles have been helpful and are doing their best to get me on the road. Unfortunately being a weekend and ordering parts from BMW is a problem. I'll be here a few days. I'm stuck in a motel. I have internet problems so I may be unable to keep in touch. Connections are working well now.
By the way, my bike is a 2000 KLT with a Hannigan sidecar with the funky or flunky speedo. Whatever. Makes it fun to work on.

Ang
You might want them to check the compass also. It might be flunky if you were aiming for Maryland. :D Seriously, hope all goes well for you. I can think of other places I'd rather be stuck in than Mississippi. :p

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good Morning.

I had the same speedo issues with the needle bouncing around most notable while going over bumps. I found a short in the speedo wires leading from the sender on the final drive right where it was zip tied to frame under right bag. I pulled zip tie off, found short and re-spliced wires back together, coating every splice with liquid tape to protect from water. I then used heat shrink and wire protector. My "cut" in the wire occurred where it was zip tied at the banjo fitting from the rear brake to the frame. The fix took about 40 minutes and has been without problems since. Seems like a common problem and a slight design flaw. Here are a few picks on the location and fix.

John

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts