BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the speedometer on my 99LT started fluctuating +/- 5 or 10 miles/h and when I tried to use the cruise control it would not stay on probably due to the reading of the fluctuating speed. I checked the connection of the speed sensor on the final drive and there does not seem to be anything wrong there. Any idea what I need to look at next?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Follow the cable out of the final drive to where it runs long the frame. You will find plastic ties. What sometime happens is the tie will cut the wire, fix the wire.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,351 Posts
Locate the speed sensor on top of the rear drive and follow the wire(s) up to the first cable tie on the brake line. Peel back the covering at that point and repair the broken wires.

Dang John we gotta stop doing this!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Locate the speed sensor on top of the rear drive and follow the wire(s) up to the first cable tie on the brake line. Peel back the covering at that point and repair the broken wires.

Dang John we gotta stop doing this!
You are usually better than most of us at this...but once in awhile I remember a problem solution. :wave

Reactions: ksbaltz

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,351 Posts
You are usually better than most of us at this...but once in awhile I remember a problem solution. :wave
I was referring to the "synchronized" help effort since we posted the answer at the same time.:p

Reactions: ksbaltz

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks for such a quick response. Awesome forum for an awesome bike. I will trace this wire this coming week-end.
I have to admit that I posted my question and then found out few threads on that same problem after a better search. I know, I know .... why did not I do a good search before posting my question.
Thanks again

Alain

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,351 Posts
Actually the search function is not as good as the "related posts" function but you have to post to get to it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday evening I traced the cable, cut the few zip ties that hold it on the frame until I found out where the cable was damaged, just right underneath one of the upper ties. I cut it clean, soldered it back together, wrapped it with thermo shrinking tube and tied it back to the frame. Now the speedometer and cruise control are working again.

Thanks against folks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts