BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try do the speedometer fix tomorrow. Have read Info by Vic Agresti and Randy Prade. Any one have any last minute tips. I almost feel like its over my head, but have a few days to do it, so I'm going for it.
Will post when I'm done or when I give up.

Jim Campbell
Grand Forks, ND

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
You will need a low wattage, heat soldering iron; especially important to tin the wire you use; make sure the tip is clean, nice and shinny.

I need a lighted magnifying glass to just see SMT. My Bifocals just can't focus on SMT stuff.

If you have an old computer board, you can practices soldering on that.

Close proximity of other components make it more likely you'll melt their solder before you worry about lifting circuit board traces.

It's nice to be able to look at the speedo and know my speed is very close to the reading.

Bob

·
Registered
855 Posts
kb0lxx said:
I'm going to try do the speedometer fix tomorrow. Have read Info by Vic Agresti and Randy Prade. Any one have any last minute tips. I almost feel like its over my head, but have a few days to do it, so I'm going for it.
Will post when I'm done or when I give up.
Bob's tip on using a large magnifying glass is a good idea. I had to have my wife hold one for me while I did the soldering. The solder area is *tiny*, so unless you have great eyesight you'll need the glass. Outside of that, it's pretty straight forward, just time consuming but worth the effort. Mine is within 1/2 mph of my GPS.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Or, you can go to the drug store and get a pair of reading glasses for about $10. They make them up to 4X and you can slip them on over your bifocals. That way you can adjust your head position, instead of trying to move the glass to keep everything in focus. Been tying small flies this way for years. I will admit you look a little strange. But, it works much better than the magnifying glass.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Speedo Fix

:confused:
OK, I thought I had kept up on the speedo fixes. Now, I see something that makes me think that maybe I missed a couple of posts.

Is there or is there not, a fix for the 2005 Speedometer?

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I need to disconect the battery?
Sides are off and getting ready to move radio unit back.

Jim Campbell
2000 K1200LTC

·
Registered
855 Posts
BkrK12 said:
Or, you can go to the drug store and get a pair of reading glasses for about $10. They make them up to 4X and you can slip them on over your bifocals. That way you can adjust your head position, instead of trying to move the glass to keep everything in focus. Been tying small flies this way for years. I will admit you look a little strange. But, it works much better than the magnifying glass.
Careful, your "down east" cheapskate, practicality is showin'........8^)

Good idea for doin' it single handed!

·
Registered
432 Posts
BkrK12 said:
Hey Dan, will that work when you're lying underneath your car and you can't focus 'cause the bifocals are pointing in the wrong direction, and you can't tilt your head 'cause every time you do, the *#@*& steering knuckle puts another dent in your bald head?(Just asking for a friend...)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Buck said:
Hey Dan, will that work when you're lying underneath your car and you can't focus 'cause the bifocals are pointing in the wrong direction, and you can't tilt your head 'cause every time you do, the *#@*& steering knuckle puts another dent in your bald head?(Just asking for a friend...)
Buck, didn't I meet that friend once at your house? He is the person who lives right across the street from your cross the street neighbor, right? :D :D

I have the same problem as your friend, as I wear tri-focals. Seems there is always something keeping me from tilting my head just right.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All the plastic is off. Hope all the screws go back in the right place. Will leave battery conected as I'm going to take the speedo assy out and do it on the bench tomorrow. I'm a little uneasy about the speedo assy, but If I go slow should be OK. Will use 4X glasses from drug store.

Jim Campbell

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can testify, with absolutely no fear of contradiction, that it works just as well as when you are under the kitchen sink trying to hold your glasses in some position that allows you to see while using both hands on the pipe and wrench.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
kb0lxx said:
All the plastic is off. Hope all the screws go back in the right place. Will leave battery conected as I'm going to take the speedo assy out and do it on the bench tomorrow. I'm a little uneasy about the speedo assy, but If I go slow should be OK. Will use 4X glasses from drug store.

Jim Campbell
Oh yeah, here's a caution here, when you remove the plastic face off the instrument cluster be very careful not to lose the two, small gray plunger plugs that operate the clock. They can be a bear to find.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Just sacrifice your most treasured QSL card to the solder god, and you should be fine OT.

Bob

·
Registered
348 Posts
Speedo Fix

I have shaky hands and no great skill as a solder-er. So I lined up a guy with experience on circuit boardsto do it for me. Freakin' brilliant!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts