BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem that I could use some help with. I was riding the ol' LT yesterday, heading up to Pinnacles National Monument (California). I hit a bit of rough road, though not that rough, and the cruise control released. I reset it and it released again. Now any time I set it, if I hit any irregularities in the road's surface, the cruise control releases.

But wait, it get better...

I noticed on the ride home ('bout 500 miles) that the speedometer will drop 5-10 mph before returning to the correct speed. Again, it is irregular and happens at the same time the cruise control releases.

So I went to my official K1200LT repair manual only to find that it doesn't include a wiring diagram. What's with that?!

My question(s): Where's the vehicle speed sensor? Is there some kind of accelerometer that would cause the cruise control to release? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as I would like to get this fixed before next weekend. I have a meeting in the bay area on Friday that I'd MUCH rather go to on the bike than in a car.

Thanks, in advance, for all of your help

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine did exactly that shortly after I got it. The bolt holding the speed sensor was loose from the factory and finally fell out. The sensor is on a small bracket attacched at the back of the rear wheel hub. Make sure the wire is not kinked or damaged because that can also cause the same issues.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Pegasus said:
I have a problem that I could use some help with. I was riding the ol' LT yesterday, heading up to Pinnacles National Monument (California). I hit a bit of rough road, though not that rough, and the cruise control released. I reset it and it released again. Now any time I set it, if I hit any irregularities in the road's surface, the cruise control releases.

But wait, it get better...

I noticed on the ride home ('bout 500 miles) that the speedometer will drop 5-10 mph before returning to the correct speed. Again, it is irregular and happens at the same time the cruise control releases.

So I went to my official K1200LT repair manual only to find that it doesn't include a wiring diagram. What's with that?!

My question(s): Where's the vehicle speed sensor? Is there some kind of accelerometer that would cause the cruise control to release? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as I would like to get this fixed before next weekend. I have a meeting in the bay area on Friday that I'd MUCH rather go to on the bike than in a car.

Thanks, in advance, for all of your help
Darrell - not sure what model year your LT is, butt if a '99 or '00, you might have the broken sensor wire that is diagnosed in this thread. Take a look at posts 11 and 12. And somewhere on the forums, there is a picture or two showing this *feature*!! Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Dick! Yes my bike is a 2000! The information posted in 2006 by Jeff Davis and David Shealey, also information given by Ken Meese, were right on. Bad wire. Life is good again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts