BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a 2016 R1200RT and have 2 questions (so far :)

My Suzuki Bergman 650 has a 10% error in the speedometer. When I have going 50 on the speedometer, it's really 45. When I'm going 80, it's really 72. Verified with GPS speed and another car. Does the BMW's have this silly thing?

In Florida most gas is Ethanol 10%. I can find Ethanol Free which I use for my yard equipment, but I read in these forums BMW liked the higher octane. Which is better for the 2015/2016 BMW, 89 Octane Ethanol Free, or 93 Octane 10% Ethanol?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The speedo error will be less, about 3 mph. This kind of thing is standard.
Buy the gas that is rated for the engine in the owners manual. Premium is generally what BMW bikes use. Keep in mind that high humidity areas like where you live if you leave a tank of gas alone for weeks water will start to mix with your fuel taken from the atmosphere. So Ride. The current ethanol fuel is junk after 3 months in your tank.
My S bike calls for 98 RON, = 94 octane, not available where I live. So I use 92 and that is the best I can do. There are some east coast areas and Canada where you can get 94 octane but not in the west.

·
Registered
112 Posts
On my current road trip, I've noticed my average reading, dial, and digital Speedo, and GPS all to be a few digits off. Not add bad as your bike. It's annoying, but the amount off is hardly worth writing about. My DL650 was about 6 off at highway speeds. So annoying.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My Suzuki Bergman 650 has a 10% error in the speedometer. When I have going 50 on the speedometer, it's really 45. When I'm going 80, it's really 72. Verified with GPS speed and another car. Does the BMW's have this silly thing?
My 2005 RT seems to be off by half that amount at most.

This all varies by how worn your tires are anyway. The more worn they are, the more revs per mile because the circumference of the tires decreases...

·
Premium Member
5,976 Posts
Looking to get a 2016 R1200RT and have 2 questions (so far :)

In Florida most gas is Ethanol 10%. I can find Ethanol Free which I use for my yard equipment, but I read in these forums BMW liked the higher octane. Which is better for the 2015/2016 BMW, 89 Octane Ethanol Free, or 93 Octane 10% Ethanol?

Thanks
Generally, I find that the RT's speedo will show about 2 mph faster than GPS speed. Not too bad.

BMW specifies 89 octane fuel for the '14 - '15 RT, and I am assuming that it will be the same for the '16 RT. 10% ethanol max. is acceptable. That is what I have been using, and no problems. OTOH, Beech brought up an interesting point! Recognizing that ethanol is actually an octane booster, and if you have water in the fuel (from condensations), it will bind with the ethanol, and at a certain point the ethanol (with the water) will drops out of the solution and effectively lower your fuel's octane! :surprise: I am not concerned about it, but you live in a more humid areas. You could do what I do and minimize the problem, by making sure that you always come home with a full tank of gas!

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Generally, I find that the RT's speedo will show about 2 mph faster than GPS speed. Not too bad.

BMW specifies 89 octane fuel for the '14 - '15 RT, and I am assuming that it will be the same for the '16 RT. 10% ethanol max. is acceptable. That is what I have been using, and no problems. OTOH, Beech brought up an interesting point! Recognizing that ethanol is actually an octane booster, and if you have water in the fuel (from condensations), it will bind with the ethanol, and at a certain point the ethanol (with the water) will drops out of the solution and effectively lower your fuel's octane! :surprise: I am not concerned about it, but you live in a more humid areas. You could do what I do and minimize the problem, by making sure that you always come home with a full tank of gas!
Hashed to death but my 15 very clearly states premium fuel on the Spec sheet on the BMW site. Not a big deal now with "cheap" fuel prices but it is wanting and calling for premium fuel.

BMW Motorrad USA

·
Premium Member
5,976 Posts
Hashed to death but my 15 very clearly states premium fuel on the Spec sheet on the BMW site. Not a big deal now with "cheap" fuel prices but it is wanting and calling for premium fuel.

BMW Motorrad USA
Page 98 (yours might be different page number) under "Refueling", I am looking at:

"Recommended fuel quality
Super unleaded (max. 10 %
ethanol, E10)
89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON)
89 AKI"

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Page 98 (yours might be different page number) under "Refueling", I am looking at:

ethanol, E10)
89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON)
89 AKI"
As said the BMW spec on their site under R 1200 RT motorcycle clearly states Premium fuel.

Super Unleaded as stated above means premium fuel to me also.

The issue is I was told there is NO knock sensor on these bikes any longer. That is enough for me to pay for premium. As with no knock sensor what is controlling knock?

I cant get to my RTFM now but after seeing your quote I would assume Super Unleaded is premium.

And I would also think when you look the bike up on BMW site and it says premium they mean it. The can not change every Manuel but the can make sure truth is under specs on their spec sheet for the bike on their site.

I run 91-93 and use Star Tron every tank. And at 20 cents more a gallon on a 5 or 6 gallon fill up it matters little except for longevity of the motor.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
When a vehicle calls for premium grade fuel they mean a octane rating of 91 AKI (95 ROZ/RON). Super is any octane rating above 91 or premium grade. Premium 91 is a worldwide standard rating. My 2012 clearly states premium grade of 91 octane but allowed to go down to 89 octane with a reduction in performance and fuel economy. I run super at 93 octane with ethanol when I can't get REC 90 non ethanol fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,976 Posts
As said the BMW spec on their site under R 1200 RT motorcycle clearly states Premium fuel.

Super Unleaded as stated above means premium fuel to me also.

The issue is I was told there is NO knock sensor on these bikes any longer. That is enough for me to pay for premium. As with no knock sensor what is controlling knock?

I cant get to my RTFM now but after seeing your quote I would assume Super Unleaded is premium.

And I would also think when you look the bike up on BMW site and it says premium they mean it. The can not change every Manuel but the can make sure truth is under specs on their spec sheet for the bike on their site.

I run 91-93 and use Star Tron every tank. And at 20 cents more a gallon on a 5 or 6 gallon fill up it matters little except for longevity of the motor.
The habit from my prior "life" made me refrain from assuming, whenever possible! 0:)

Here are two FACTS:

1. You cannot generalize that all RTs are required to use premium gas (91 ROZ/RON). For R1200RTs, the model years 2005 - 2013 are required to use the 91 octane, BUT the 2014 and 2015 are required to use 89 AKI (anti-knock index, which happen to be the same as ROZ/RON).

2. 89 AKI = 89 ROZ/RON, which is the mid-grade, and not premium!

I will quickly add that I am just presenting the FACTS, and I will never tell anybody what to do, whether it's gas or oil, and anything, unless using the wrong thing can get you into trouble (JASO MA2, for an example). So, do whatever you think best for you! :smile:

EDIT: Oops.....I didn't mean ROZ/RON when I made the statements! I meant to say that it's the rating that we use at the pump here in the US - (R+M)/2!! So, wherever you see ROZ/RON above, please replace with (R+M)/2.

Reactions: riff42

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
321 Posts
Been running my 2015 with 89. 3200 mi so far and it runs fine.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
RT speedos are fairly accurate...I know what you mean about the Suzuki ones...my 07 DL1000 (V-Strom) read 10% high over 35 mph...just did the calculations in my head rather than buy the Speedo Healer mod.

Always ran Premium gas, never a problem...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
The habit from my prior "life" made me refrain from assuming, whenever possible! 0:)

Here are two FACTS:

1. You cannot generalize that all RTs are required to use premium gas (91 ROZ/RON). For R1200RTs, the model years 2005 - 2013 are required to use the 91 octane, BUT the 2014 and 2015 are required to use 89 AKI (anti-knock index, which happen to be the same as ROZ/RON).

2. 89 AKI = 89 ROZ/RON, which is the mid-grade, and not premium!

I will quickly add that I am just presenting the FACTS, and I will never tell anybody what to do, whether it's gas or oil, and anything, unless using the wrong thing can get you into trouble (JASO MA2, for an example). So, do whatever you think best for you! :smile:

EDIT: Oops.....I didn't mean ROZ/RON when I made the statements! I meant to say that it's the rating that we use at the pump here in the US - (R+M)/2!! So, wherever you see ROZ/RON above, please replace with (R+M)/2.
Well no assuming at all on my part.

On the Manufactures page under specifications on the RT 1200 RTLC it says Premium. Black and white no added words or mis quotes. Premium.

As you quoted from your RTFM Super Unleaded. That is 91 and above.

I am not fussing just saying what the written specs and facts from the maker of the bike say.

Former RT needed Premium. Higher compression leading to more HP and TQ need Premium according to BMW specs.

I am with you, run what you want, your bike.

My issue is I have been told no knock sensor so what is pulling timing on lower then required octane?

However I will not ignore the manufacturer recommendation for premium fuel.

I have seen this debated and never resolved.

I guess someone needs to drop a line to BMW for clarification. It is misleading and a bit dishonest to infer one type of fuel but list Premium and Super Unleaded which are both the same thing. There is no interpretation that changes Ron to Tron to Bon or any other wordy formula. 89 is mid grade, 91 is Super Unleaded or Premium.

BMW lists Premium under specs on their web site. The RTFM says Super Unleaded. No other way to interpret that. 91 octane or better is Super Unleaded here on the Right Coast. Maybe it means something different in other parts of the USA?

Not trying to fuss as I said just wont drink kool-aid because of ambiguous and double speak.

·
Premium Member
5,976 Posts

ethanol, E10)
89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON)
89 AKI"
Well no assuming at all on my part.

On the Manufactures page under specifications on the RT 1200 RTLC it says Premium. Black and white no added words or mis quotes. Premium.

As you quoted from your RTFM Super Unleaded. That is 91 and above.

I am not fussing just saying what the written specs and facts from the maker of the bike say.

Former RT needed Premium. Higher compression leading to more HP and TQ need Premium according to BMW specs.

I am with you, run what you want, your bike.

My issue is I have been told no knock sensor so what is pulling timing on lower then required octane?

However I will not ignore the manufacturer recommendation for premium fuel.

I have seen this debated and never resolved.

I guess someone needs to drop a line to BMW for clarification. It is misleading and a bit dishonest to infer one type of fuel but list Premium and Super Unleaded which are both the same thing. There is no interpretation that changes Ron to Tron to Bon or any other wordy formula. 89 is mid grade, 91 is Super Unleaded or Premium.

BMW lists Premium under specs on their web site. The RTFM says Super Unleaded. No other way to interpret that. 91 octane or better is Super Unleaded here on the Right Coast. Maybe it means something different in other parts of the USA?

Not trying to fuss as I said just wont drink kool-aid because of ambiguous and double speak.
You have to use assumption if you use words nomenclature! Either RTFM, or look at what I had quoted from my manual again! Numbers is exact, and you will not have to assume anything!

89 AKI = 89 (RON+MON)/2 = mid-grade, period! :smile:

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
You have to use assumption if you use words nomenclature! Either RTFM, or look at what I had quoted from my manual again! Numbers is exact, and you will not have to assume anything!

89 AKI = 89 (RON+MON)/2 = mid-grade, period! :smile:
Engine
Type Air/liquid-cooled 4-stroke flat twin engine with balancer shaft, four valves per cylinder, double overhead camshaft, wet sump lubrication
Bore x stroke 101 mm x 73 mm
Capacity 1,170 cc
Rated output 125 hp (92 kW) at 7,750 rpm
Max. torque 92 lb-ft (125 Nm) at 6,500 rpm
Compression ratio 12.5 : 1
Mixture control / engine management Electronic fuel injection with ride-by-wire throttle system
Emission control Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
Performance / fuel consumption
Maximum speed Over 125 mph
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h 60 mpg at a constant 55 mph (3.9 l)
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 120 km/h
Fuel type Premium Unleaded
Electrical system
Alternator Three-phase 540 W generator
Battery 12 V / 16 Ah, maintenance-free
Power transmission
Clutch Multi-plate wet clutch, hydraulically operated
Gearbox Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical cut gears
Drive Shaft drive 2.75:1
Chassis / brakes
Frame Continuous tubular steel bridge-type frame
Front wheel location / suspension BMW Telelever, Ø 37 mm, central spring strut
Rear wheel location / suspension Cast aluminum single-sided swing arm with BMW EVO Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) via handwheel, rebound damping adjustable via handwheel
Suspension travel front / rear 4.7" / 5.4" (120 mm / 136 mm)
Wheelbase 58.5" (1,485 mm)
Castor 4.6" (116 mm)
Steering head angle 63.6°
Wheels Cast aluminum wheels
Rim, front 3.50 x 17"
Rim, rear 5.50 x 17"
Tyres, front 120/70 ZR 17
Tyres, rear 180/55 ZR 17
Brake, front Dual floating disc brakes, 4-piston fixed calipers, diameter 320 mm
Brake, rear Single disc brake, diameter 276 mm, dual-piston floating caliper
ABS BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral)
Dimensions / weights
Length 87.5" (2,222 mm)
Width (incl. mirrors) 38.7" (983 mm) / 38.8" (985 mm) incl. panniers
Height (excl. mirrors) 55.7" (1,416 mm)
Seat height, unladen weight 31.7" / 32.5" (805 / 825 mm; adjustable seat height) Standard; variable seat heights available between 29.9" (760 mm) and 33.5" (850 mm) (available as accessories and/or factory options, see an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer)
Inner leg curve, unladen weight 71.3" / 72.8" (1,810 / 1,850 mm; adjustable seat height) Standard; variable inner leg curve (inseam) between 68.5" (1,740 mm) and 75.4" (1,915 mm) (seats available as accessories and/or factory options, see an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer)
Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 604 lbs (274 kg)
Dry weight
Permitted total weight 1,091 lbs (495 kg)
Payload (with standard equipment) 487 lbs (221 kg)
Usable tank volume 6.6 gal (25 l)
Reserve Approx. 1 gal (4.0 l)

Technical data relate to the unladen weight (DIN)
1) According to guideline 93/93/EWG with all fluids, fuelled with at least 90% of usable tank volume

Gonna gimp for my RTFM.

This is my point. If truly the bike needs to run Fuel type Premium Unleaded Then what are we doing to them with 89? It goes with my other question in the change in oil viscosity. Different thread for sure.

So I have shamelessly copied the RT spec from BMW and it is what it says plain and simple.

So BMW just wants you be prepared to run 91 and then when you RTFM it allows you to feel like man what a deal? Or are there other things that may be happening such as carbon? I also want to know how the bike pulls timing? Again a Service Manager flat out said there is no Knock sensor.

I rode a lot of miles following a RT and it needed premium gas! It will run on 89 if that is what you get on below E. However not steady diets of 87 or 89 did it ever care for. However my 135hp FJR 1300 thrived on 87 and even 85 in Colorado! But I digress.

I need to ride the knee scooter out to the garage and get the RTFM. I really do need to exercise a bit every day for blood clots and atrophy prevention. Hell to get old and Beat up!

So with the RTFM in my hand, gonna plug the phone in and put it on speaker and see if I can get an answer to what they want. Backed with an e-mail. It may help if others are interested in this discrepancy of the Spec page on the BMW site, and the RTFM. I am suspecting that the 89 formula is the lowest octane the bike can run on and Premium Unleaded is the preferred fuel. As you did not quote all the lines in fuel requirements and as the first being Super Unleaded, I am suspecting a min and max figure.

The difference is the octane rating, (in the USA)regular- 87 octane, plus is 89 octane and super is 91 or 93 octane depending on avail.

Always use what the manufacturer recommends or higher

Using a lower octane or sometime fuel from a no name gas station can cause engine Detonation/knock/pinging. This is when gas ignites by compression rather than the spark from the spark plug. Knock can(WILL) damage an engine if left unchecked, so it is not something you want to have happening. Though most new cars' ECM will adjust ignition timing if detonation is detected.

The use of a higher octane fuel than required, can be a waste of money. Some newer vehicles can get better gas mileage with higher octane if the ECM will adapt to it/ depending on the vehicle(seen it mostly with pickups that haul loads). Using higher octane fuel "WILL NOT" damage the engine.

Again not a fuss. I absolutely love my weep head, with the noisy NAV V to death! I truly do with no jest intended. Just want to know, cause............

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
So after 1.5 hours on the phone I have an answer.

It was not to bad but I did have to stomp my feet and stick my lower lip out, and request Supervisors all the way up the chain.

After pointing out the Premium Unleaded on their web page under Specs, to the RTFM and it's :

ethanol, E10)
89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON)
89 AKI"

The first guy said let me get someone else for you, she said I should call the dealer as he would know that.

I asked her if you make the motorcycle why would a seller know more than the manufacturer on requirements. After some back and forth I then asked her if I called 15 Service Departments would the all say 89, 91,93, Premium, Super Unleaded or 89? I then asked for a supervisor.

A nice gentleman got on the phone and listened to me describe the differences and how ambiguous the spec was in the RTFM. He apologized profusely and said WE RECOMMEND TO USE PREMIUM FUEL ONLY. He said the 89 is the least octane to use if you are forced to use it but PREMIUM is the normal diet these RT's need. He also reiterated all previous RT's needed to use Premium and this one with more HP and TQ also needed it.

SO there you have it. Not saying right or wrong. I have used nothing but 91 and 93 in mine so worst I wasted money. Seems at best I did right.

I am not being smug or trying to be disagreeable as I love this forum. I do want people to stand up and demand to know the answers to these very basic questions. I mean "ask you service manager" about fuel requirements is pure crap!

Now if I could hold someone hands over the flame for 5W40 and why not 10W40 I would be a happy man.

And use Star Tron in every tank of fuel you get in every vehicle you use and life will be good.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
531 Posts
BMW should not be using names for the type of fuel. They should stick to the numbers.

Around Bismarck, ND, almost none of the stations call it "Premium" anymore. They all have their own names. Super Unleaded is probably the most common for 91 octane. But there are a couple of stations that have 92 octane as well under another name.

For me, I go for the 91 octane. Not because I think it's better. But up here, almost all the stations have switched what they carry. I can get 87 with ethanol, 87 withOUT ethanol, or 91/92. Some 91/92 has ethanol, some don't. For the same price, I just know what stations to buy from that have ethanol free 91 so I can avoid needing something like Startron. But most stations don't have 89 for me to even use anymore.

One last thing to add to the pot before I quit stirring it. Some think that somehow 91 octane is a "better" gas. It's not better. It just has inhibitors added so it is less likely to explode prematurely when under high compression. That's all. Nothing more.

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
BMW should not be using names for the type of fuel. They should stick to the numbers.

Around Bismarck, ND, almost none of the stations call it "Premium" anymore. They all have their own names. Super Unleaded is probably the most common for 91 octane. But there are a couple of stations that have 92 octane as well under another name.

For me, I go for the 91 octane. Not because I think it's better. But up here, almost all the stations have switched what they carry. I can get 87 with ethanol, 87 withOUT ethanol, or 91/92. Some 91/92 has ethanol, some don't. For the same price, I just know what stations to buy from that have ethanol free 91 so I can avoid needing something like Startron. But most stations don't have 89 for me to even use anymore.

One last thing to add to the pot before I quit stirring it. Some think that somehow 91 octane is a "better" gas. It's not better. It just has inhibitors added so it is less likely to explode prematurely when under high compression. That's all. Nothing more.
And that is the issue, gas exploding from pressure/compression instead of ignition, and is why I am so keen on getting a strait answer. I have done and saw the results of holing a piston from detonation and at my age I have neither the want for knowledge or the money to have at it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts