BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my speedo reads 10 klms higher than what I am going, it was like this when I bought it, has someone screwed with it for this to happen. How can I fix this has anyone else had this problem.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
This is a common issue with K1200LTs. Since you have a 2000 there is a fix. Just tear into the dash and get the card behind the speedometer out and add a solder jumper. Jump JB and JC with a short piece of wire and she will read spot on.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does this fix work for the 2002 Lt also? Although not yet “confirmed” with a GPS, I think my old girl is doing the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Yes it works for 99-2004 US models.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here in Australia we have ADR's. Australian Design Rules. These rules cover all vehicles made or imported in to Australia. I would think you would have something the same. It covers everything required in the construction of vehicles including analogue (main) speedometers. The rule states that all MAIN speedometers both analogue and digital be set at between 6 and 10% fast. This is suppose to stop you from being booked for speeding.

On my bike a 2004 LTSE the speedometer is approximately 6% fast. I use a Garmi 590LM GPS and this indicates this error. I also use the electronic digital speedometer on the dashboard controlled by the switch on the left handlebar marked ‘mute/bc’. On your next ride find a road which you can get up to 100 kph (60 mph) on the analogue speedometer. Select the Average Speed on the digital readout and then hold the button for several seconds. This will then indicate your true speed.

I can confirm this as I also have a Garmin 590 LM GPS. This also reads exactly the same as the digital speedometer reading. These two readings are exactly the same. I have tried this at several speeds and the error is 6%.

I personally do not worry about the error as I use the GPS 90% of the time.
If you have some time look at the following post on Y Tube.

How to hack speedometer accuracy - for free | Auto Expert John Cadogan
29,555 views on Y Tube. Also if you have some more time to spare check out some of his other posts. They are great. Excuse the manner of his presentations, this is Australia.

Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts