BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for the 2002 1200lt speedo to be slow by 8-10 miles per hour? I have a GL1800 that had the same problem and it could be fixed by placing an over sized tire on the back.. is their and easy fix?

I also notice lots of sun glare on the speedo while driving.. Is their a trick to stop that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
speedometers on all motorcycles are off by approx 10 percent
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
Normal? Well they all do it. Fix is in the Hall of Wisdom. Not difficult if you don't mind a little soldering.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
superdavemerriman said:
Is it normal for the 2002 1200lt speedo to be slow by 8-10 miles per hour? I have a GL1800 that had the same problem and it could be fixed by placing an over sized tire on the back.. is their and easy fix?

I also notice lots of sun glare on the speedo while driving.. Is their a trick to stop that?
You can apply a transparent, matte finish film to the panel (like a screen protector on your smart phone) or better yet, install one of these to hold your goodies and block the glare at the same time (clickety click).

Have had one on each of my five LTs and cannot imagine NOT having one.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
superdavemerriman said:
Is it normal for the 2002 1200lt speedo to be slow by 8-10 miles per hour? I have a GL1800 that had the same problem and it could be fixed by placing an over sized tire on the back.. is their and easy fix?

I also notice lots of sun glare on the speedo while driving.. Is their a trick to stop that?
How are you determining your actual speed? You can use the bike computer to check your speed by pushing the reset button while on the average speed setting while going down the road with your cruise control set to a certain speed. My bike is consistantly about 4 to 5 mph off, so I just figure that in when observing the speedo...
As for your other problem...You could just move up here to the Pacific Northwest...Problem solved, definately no sun glare on any friggin' thing you look at...hardly EVER!!! :histerica :cool: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
jkersh1 said:
Normal? Well they all do it. Fix is in the Hall of Wisdom. Not difficult if you don't mind a little soldering.
That fix is only for up to 2001. 2002 up use a different system. As far as I can remember, the only fix for them was to pull the needle on the speedo and re-position it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my wife followed me to the dealer this week and told me I was going about 10 miles under the limit.. I thought everyone was just in a hurry.. Pretty funny since I normally drive to fast.. I had a bad final drive and was taking it the dealer for repair so I was being cautious..
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,254 Posts
dshealey said:
That fix is only for up to 2001. 2002 up use a different system. As far as I can remember, the only fix for them was to pull the needle on the speedo and re-position it.
David,

You have been away too long. That fix is good up to the end of 2004. The 05 and up has the needle fix only.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
jzeiler said:
David,

You have been away too long. That fix is good up to the end of 2004. The 05 and up has the needle fix only.
RIGHT! 2002 was when the speed sensor moved from the final drive to the ABS system. Too many things to keep track of. I blew it this time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
256 Posts
Checked mine against the GPS. At 60 indicated, GPS was bouncing between 56/57. Not as bad as my VTX was. At Hwy/Interstate speed, it would be -10% + -4MPH off.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top