BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I started out on a weekend ride and looked down to see my speedo needle sitting on zero. Great start to a trip I thought. While riding along I decided to try a couple of things.
I found that my cruise control wouldn't turn on either. If I quickly stabbed on the brakes the speedo would suddenly try to work and then drop back down. By the time I got to the next township 15 minutes up the road it all came good. It never played up for the rest of the trip and hasn't since. The night before the trip I decided to give the bike a good check over and had my hands in some tight spots. My initial thought was perhaps I disturbed a ground wire that sorted its self out with vibration.

What are your thought lads.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
On an 05 the speedo signal is developed from the rear wheel ABS sensor and fed to the ABS where it is turned into the TAS and TA- signals and fed to the instrument panel. Not much in between. The instrument panel generates a TAA signal fed to the cruise control as TACO.

Could be a loose connection at the ABS or the dash.

The old models (99-2001) were easy as it was a separate sensor on the FD and the cable tie up near the brake hard line would cut the wires. That would cause the speedo to go flaky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts