BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All;

Sometimes people ask what issue have you had with your high mileage bike and I usually say what issues? She has been great. EXCEPT. the dreaded Speedo fault. The only continuous issue Ive had for years and years.
I need all the electronic guru's help.
Had issue with the rear ABS sensor and some connector issues, in which everyone here did a great job in helping and diagnosing. See prior posts. worked fine for a year.
here we go.
No cruise engaged. At about 75 mph the speedo drops out, slow down to 75 comes back on.
Cruise engaged, slowly speed up to 75, everything drops out. The cruise will hold steady at any slower speeds. Brand new BMW $$$$$$ sensor about a year ago. Checked all connections look ok. Just happened to have an ebay, much less $$, sensor. Installed that same issue. No flashing ABS lights by the way. i know, just go 75 and be happy. AH NO.
Bad ground? Bad ABS relay? module? Ideas.
2002 model year. Fun Fun Fun. Electrical issues. yea.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
maybe replace the wire to the sensor where they are known to break just to be sure. strange its only at a certain speed could be a crook speedo as well i guess, I am not sure how you would test that. you wont have cruise while the speedo is not working.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
Well the signal to drive the speedo is generated inside the ABS module. The Tacho A signal comes from the speedo itself and feeds the cruise control. So the fault most likely is either in the ABS or the Speedometer module itself.

Since this is speed related (unless you have unusual vibrations above 75 mph) I do not suspect a loose connection. I presume you have jacked all the connectors involved (ABS module, dash connections). If you haven't then I would try that first. Then find a speedo on e-bay and swap that out and see if the issue goes away.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the signal to drive the speedo is generated inside the ABS module. The Tacho A signal comes from the speedo itself and feeds the cruise control. So the fault most likely is either in the ABS or the Speedometer module itself.

Since this is speed related (unless you have unusual vibrations above 75 mph) I do not suspect a loose connection. I presume you have jacked all the connectors involved (ABS module, dash connections). If you haven't then I would try that first. Then find a speedo on e-bay and swap that out and see if the issue goes away.

I have checked all the connectors under the seat. Is the ABS module the one next to the box with all the bleed screws? I see the wires coming out and checked for obvious damage. Are there plug/connectors also? I will take the side off and take a look.
I have not checked any dash connectors yet.!! I'm assuming there will be ground wires to be checked there also. I know bad grounds can have all kinds of affects. I have checked the plug connectors tied to the frame just under the speedo cluster. I think i will cut all the ties and make sure all is clean and secure. wont hurt either way with all the miles and years. I just keep feeling its something simple, but then electrical issue never are.
Thanks for the heads up.
I will let you know. I actually like troubleshooting, just patience and time.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
This would be the big connector on the ABS (red arrow).

4 and 6 are the input to the Speedo and 5 is the Tacho A out to the cruise.

Attachments

Reactions: sailor

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
He has a 2002, so isn't the speedo input from the FD area? Not sure when it changed, but it's that way on my 2000. First place I would check is the zip tie on the frame at the front of the rear tire next to the master brake cylinder.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
Dean,

If you had the non-linked brakes there was a separate sensor for speedo. All the late 2001 up had the integral brakes and use the rear ABS sensor.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This would be the big connector on the ABS (red arrow).

4 and 6 are the input to the Speedo and 5 is the Tacho A out to the cruise.

Ok, GREAT post. Some great info. Today I checked all the connections 4, 5, 6.
Cleaned them up nice and shiny, used some electric spray grease and reconnected. And checked the main speedo plugs. Tomorrow will check the main plug to the ABS and see what happens from there.
Not a huge issue, but something that just needs to be remedied.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To ALL;

John; You must be right. i had my machine apart searching and searching. Followed your suggestions. Well Sir, my problem is solved. Over 90 with no issues and the cruise stays on at all times.
Checked as stated in previous post plus checked the wiring at the ABS unit. I also changed out ALL the fuses, 12 I believe, They are all 12 yrs + old plus 300,000 k miles of cycles.
The only problem is I really don't know which one fixed the issue. I had her all apart and couldn't really check each time I went thru something. my guess is the corroded connections at the speedo. But no way to confirm that.
but i really appreciate the great help. At least got me in the right direction.

To ALL; if John says do it, check it, look at it, change it, buy it, lube it, ETC
JUST DO IT.
Thanks Again John. We owe you dinner.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
Hey I am just glad you fixed the old girl. I intend to keep mine on the road as long as possible and I will be here to help others do the same. She is worth it.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey I am just glad you fixed the old girl. I intend to keep mine on the road as long as possible and I will be here to help others do the same. She is worth it.
Off subject. but this old girl has been my baby for a long time. Ive said it before, but after 14 bikes and 45 years of riding still by far the BEST. But my wife has suggested for me to sell my GS, use the LT as a spare bike, and buy a new "something". I told her better be careful, might just show up with a new "something"
Looking at the new RT. The GTL is a little bit too much $$$$.
Thanks again, I can do ALL the mechanical stuff, the electrical is my weak point.
Dinner anytime, open invitation.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
The new RT is pretty slick and it would be a fun ride. But the new R1200RS looks like a really fun one if you can stand the seating position.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The new RT is pretty slick and it would be a fun ride. But the new R1200RS looks like a really fun one if you can stand the seating position.

RS oh yes absolutely. But looking for more heavy sport touring 2 up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts