BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hear of this? Saw an add in sportbike magazine, the "custom" version is the one for BMW's and allegedly calibrates the speedometer to show correct speed, and can bypass the top speed governor (look under distributors) for....under a hundred bucks...three plugs and a zip-cable, warranty, the whole shebang.

http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/intro.htm

(BMW models require the custom model)

Tech gurus?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Pete,

This may work on the earliest LTs that have a separate speed sensor, but most years share it with the ABS and you don't want to mess with that signal. This has been rebuked here before.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how early is early?

mine is a 2004

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Along the same lines is the YellowBox out of Australia. It, too, has been put down here before by those who know WAY more about this stuff than I do. On the other hand, the company swears that the claims of its detractors are not real, and they offer a money back guarantee.

There is also a thread that talks about a speedo fix involving some jumpers. No parts to buy, no signals to tweak. You just have to get the speedo out and do a little field mod.

Which is the best approach? I have no clue! I pretty much use my GPS for a speedo, and will likely do the speedo mod when I have the panel out for bulb replacement.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
99,2000 - I just know that if you have integral brakes there is no "speed" sensor, just the ABS sensors. From the looks of the schematics the early bikes had a sensor that fed the speedo direct.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
jzeiler said:
99,2000 - I just know that if you have integral brakes there is no "speed" sensor, just the ABS sensors. From the looks of the schematics the early bikes had a sensor that fed the speedo direct.
The bikes up to 2001 had the seperate speed sensor, mounted on top of the right side of the final drive unit. 2002 and above use the ABS signals.

The speedo fix for the '99-'04 bikes is definitely the best way to go. Any of these "yellow", "black", or other boxes develop a speed pulse train based on the stock one, but shifted up or down in frequency. On the LT though, doing this also affects the ODO reading by the amount set, and that will make the ODO read low. Typically, the speedos are about 10% high, the ODO only 2-3%, so if the "box" is used to correct the speedo, the ODO will then read 7-8% low. The speedo fix we do on the 99-04 LTs does not affect the ODO.

·
Registered
339 Posts
HMMMMM !!!!

Maybe that's why I can get a speedometer reading of 140 MPH.....right around 7600 RPM....( in 5th gear of course )

·
Registered
237 Posts
So, as long as we are on the topic, what *is* the speedo error? This weekend I was keeping up with traffic on the freeway, and the clock said I was doing between 75 and 80.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
juggler said:
So, as long as we are on the topic, what *is* the speedo error? This weekend I was keeping up with traffic on the freeway, and the clock said I was doing between 75 and 80.
This is not "scientific" but pretty close to being "accurate"
at least on the last six BMW's I've owned,
think of BMW motorcycle speedometers being on the "metric" eleven system,
in other words if your speedometer indicates 55 you're probably doing 50
if it says 66, actual speed is closer to 60, indicated 77 is closer to 70 and so on
I've "verified" and confirmed this with my GPS

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmm

But I wanna' bypass the top speed governor, too!!!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
juggler said:
Mine is 10%. 80-8=72
Verified by radar, and gps.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Real speed for 05,06 and 07

Not sure if this will help anyoner but the 05, 06 and 07 speedo's are worthless to read as 50 or 70 etc... With that in mind, I've attached ticks to the outside of my speedo bezel. The following pictures were accmoplished on my 06 on a straight and level road with the cruise stabalized. The speeds noted on the pictures came from my GPS. I just croped them for illustration purposes. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts